Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

ENCORE!

Alain Choquette: A Hilarious Magician in Paris

Read more

FOCUS

France welcomes Iraqi Christian refugees

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Emmanuel Macron: A new economy minister with a pro-business agenda

Read more

THE OBSERVERS

More of this year's best Observers stories

Read more

#TECH 24

Changing the world, one video game at a time

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Socialist Party summer conference kicks off in explosive atmosphere

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Canada and Russia exchange snarky tweets

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Ebola in Nigeria: First death outside of Lagos

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Niger: Top opposition figure to be questioned in baby-trafficking scandal

Read more

  • First case of Ebola confirmed in Senegal

    Read more

  • British killer escapes from French psychiatric hospital

    Read more

  • Ukraine to relaunch NATO membership bid

    Read more

  • France shines in IMF list of world’s promising economists

    Read more

  • Mapping Ukraine: Canada and Russia in ‘tweet for tat’ row

    Read more

  • Obama has 'no strategy yet' on potential Syria strikes

    Read more

  • Netflix to woo French with ‘House of Cards’ set in Marseille

    Read more

  • French businesses ‘hoping for a new Thatcher’

    Read more

  • Syrian refugees surpass 3 million, UN says

    Read more

  • West backs Ukrainian claims of Russian incursion

    Read more

  • Libyan PM resigns as Islamists set up rival administration

    Read more

  • UN says 43 peacekeepers captured in Golan Heights

    Read more

  • The deleted tweets of Manuel Valls

    Read more

  • Peru seizes record 6.5 tonnes of Europe-bound cocaine

    Read more

  • Pakistan army to mediate between PM, protesters

    Read more

  • PSG face Barcelona, Ajax in tough Champions League draw

    Read more

  • In pictures: Billions of locusts invade Madagascan capital

    Read more

  • Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie say ‘I do’ in France

    Read more

  • Erdogan sworn in as Turkey's president

    Read more

Britain to withdraw Prince Harry from Afghanistan

Latest update : 2008-02-29

The British defence ministry announced on Friday that Prince Harry would be withdrawn from Afghanistan after news leaked that he had been fighting on the front lines.

Britain's Prince Harry is being withdrawn from Afghanistan immediately, the Defence Ministry said on Friday, after news leaked on the Internet that he had been secretly fighting on the front lines for 10 weeks.
 

Harry, 23, the grandson of Queen Elizabeth and third in line to the throne, was sent to Afghanistan in December, but the British media maintained a blackout on reporting the deployment under an agreement with the Ministry of Defence.
 

That agreement collapsed on Thursday after Web sites in Australia, Germany and the United States leaked the news.
 

"Following a detailed assessment of the risks by the operational chain of command, the decision has been taken ... to withdraw Prince Harry from Afghanistan immediately," the ministry said in a statement.
 

"This decision has been taken primarily on the basis that the worldwide media coverage of Prince Harry in Afghanistan could impact on the security of those who are deployed there, as well as the risks to him as an individual soldier."
 

Harry, the son of Prince Charles and the late Princess Diana, has been active during his 10 weeks of combat, calling in air strikes against Taliban positions, carrying out foot patrols and firing a heavy-duty machine gun at suspected fighters.
 

Commanders described him as a "model soldier" and were quick to praise his bravery. It is the first time a British royal has been deployed in combat since the Falklands war 25 years ago, when Harry's uncle Prince Andrew flew helicopters.
 

But now that knowledge of Harry's role is widely known, there are concerns he could become a target of the Taliban, al Qaeda or other Islamist militants operating in the country. As well as his safety there are concerns for his regiment.
 

When it was announced last year that he could be deployed to Iraq, militant groups there threatened to kidnap or kill him. The deployment was later cancelled due to the threats.
 


 

MEDIA DEBATE
 

The fact the embargo on the Afghanistan deployment held for 2-1/2 months was a surprise, particularly given the cut throat, free-for-all nature of the British tabloid press. But it has also led to a debate about the media and "backroom deals".
 

Jon Snow, a British news reader, said the embargo affair could be damaging for the media's credibility.
 

"One wonders whether viewers, readers and listeners will ever want to trust media bosses again," he wrote on his blog.
 

Tessa Mayes, a commentator at Spiked Online, accused the media of doing special deals with the royals, something that was okay when Harry and his brother William were young, but not now.
 

"They are not children now, they are adults, and we should not be doing backroom deals with royalty," she told Sky TV.
 

"The role of the reporter is not to become the informational wing of the military, it's to have a degree of independence."
 

Reuters, like other major news outlets, agreed to the embargo, seeing it as similar to those frequently arranged with companies, central banks and governments to release sensitive information at a specific time.
 

The only British national newspaper that did not put the Harry story on its front page on Friday was the Independent.
 

"We don't share our rivals' incredible fascination with every aspect of the royal family's lives," deputy editor-in-chief Ian Birrell told Reuters.
 

"The most interesting aspect about all this is the breaking of the media embargo by Drudge, but we decided that in itself wasn't big enough to warrant the front page."
 

As far as the embargo goes, though, Birrell was supportive.
 

"I don't see a problem at all. I think the media has acted in a very responsible manner on what has been a difficult situation in which lives were at risk," he said.

Date created : 2008-02-29

COMMENT(S)