Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

No strategy and a beige suit

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 29 August 2014 (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 29 August 2014

Read more

ENCORE!

Alain Choquette: A Hilarious Magician in Paris

Read more

FOCUS

France welcomes Iraqi Christian refugees

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Emmanuel Macron: A new economy minister with a pro-business agenda

Read more

THE OBSERVERS

More of this year's best Observers stories

Read more

#TECH 24

Changing the world, one video game at a time

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Socialist Party summer conference kicks off in explosive atmosphere

Read more

  • Kerry calls for 'coalition of nations' to battle IS militants

    Read more

  • EU leaders meet in Brussels to seek a response to Russia

    Read more

  • Exclusive: Fabius warns Russia of more sanctions

    Read more

  • IMF backs Lagarde amid French corruption probe

    Read more

  • Ebola drug ‘ZMapp’ heals all monkeys in study

    Read more

  • Lesotho army seizes police HQ, jams radio stations

    Read more

  • British killer escapes from French psychiatric hospital

    Read more

  • Police hunt for British boy with brain tumour taken to France

    Read more

  • Ukraine to relaunch NATO membership bid

    Read more

  • Suriname leader’s son pleads guilty to courting Hezbollah

    Read more

  • Mapping Ukraine: Canada and Russia in ‘tweet for tat’ row

    Read more

  • France shines in IMF list of world’s promising economists

    Read more

  • Chelsea’s Torres set for AC Milan switch

    Read more

  • First case of Ebola confirmed in Senegal

    Read more

  • Obama has 'no strategy yet' against IS militants in Syria

    Read more

  • Netflix to woo French with ‘House of Cards’ set in Marseille

    Read more

  • French businesses ‘hoping for a new Thatcher’

    Read more

  • The deleted tweets of Manuel Valls

    Read more

  • Libyan PM resigns as Islamists set up rival administration

    Read more

  • Syrian refugees surpass three million, UN says

    Read more

  • UN says 43 peacekeepers captured in Golan Heights

    Read more

Mourinho in talks with Inter Milan

Latest update : 2008-03-29

Chelsea's outspoken former coach Jose Mourinho was in Milan on Friday to start talks with Inter, according to his personal adviser and various Italian and Portuguese media. He would replace Roberto Mancini, whose contract runs until 2012.

Former Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho travelled to Italy on Friday for talks about a job with Inter Milan, said his personal adviser Eladio Parames.

"Jose has left for Milan for talks with Inter's directors," Parames told Reuters without giving further details.

Earlier this month, Inter coach Roberto Mancini said he wanted to quit the Serie A champions at the end of the season only to reverse his decision the following day.

On Thursday, Inter owner Massimo Moratti laughed off speculation he was lining up a replacement for Mancini.

"There is all this stuff to deny but I no longer have the patience to do it," he told reporters.

An Inter spokesman did not deny Friday's reports but said Moratti was not in Milan and reiterated the owner's comments about being fed up of denying rumours.

Mourinho has been linked with a host of top European clubs since his spell with Chelsea came to an end in September when the Premier League club said their relationship with the Portuguese had "broken down".

Mourinho, who dubbed himself the 'Special One' when he took over at Stamford Bridge after lifting the Champions League with Porto in 2004, was adored by Chelsea fans after winning two Premier League titles, two League Cups and an FA Cup.

The Portuguese, who has expressed a desire to work in Italy or Spain, was in Milan with his agent Jorge Mendes on Friday.

Inter remain top of Serie A but the gap has narrowed to just four points after they lost 2-1 at home to Juventus on Saturday while second-placed AS Roma beat Empoli 2-1.

Mancini was upbeat despite the defeat.

"We have an advantage, we have eight games left, hopefully we'll regain some players this week and I think we can win all eight," he said.



FOUR YEARS

Mancini, who has four years left on his contract, shocked reporters on March 11 by announcing he wanted to quit following the Champions League last-16 defeat by Liverpool.

But after his change of heart the 43-year-old, in charge since 2004, looked set to stay on following talks with Moratti.

"I thank president Massimo Moratti for giving me strength, understanding the situation and understanding me," Mancini said the day after the Liverpool defeat.

He did not say he would stay for the long term but Moratti said the coach's desire was to fulfil his contract.

Mourinho was the media's favourite to take over if Mancini stood by his decision to quit.

Earlier this season, media reports said Moratti had held talks with Mourinho but the club and the Portuguese denied it.

Some media reports have said the speculation upset Mancini and it could have been a reason for his behaviour.

However, it appears the disappointment at going out in the Champions League first knockout round for a second straight season was the major factor.

Date created : 2008-03-28

COMMENT(S)