Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

US President wraps up world tour in Italy (Part 1)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

US President wraps up world tour in Italy (Part 2)

Read more

FOCUS

The battle against illegal fishing in West Africa

Read more

DOWN TO EARTH

Trump has already quit the Paris climate deal - just not publicly

Read more

#TECH 24

The Ice Memory Project: A treasure trove for future scientists

Read more

ENCORE!

Cannes 2017: Stars dig deep at AIDS gala dinner

Read more

FASHION

French fashion designer Jacquemus declares his love for Marseille

Read more

PEOPLE & PROFIT

A piece of work: New French government braces for labour law reform

Read more

#THE 51%

Ridding workplaces of sexism: What companies can do to banish outdated attitudes

Read more

Mosley faces pressure to resign

Latest update : 2008-04-05

Mosley faces mounting pressure to give up his post as president of the International Motoring Federation (FIA), world motoring and motorsport's ruling body, following lurid revelations about his private life last weekend. (Report: G. Cragg)

Max Mosley faced more pressure to resign as president of the FIA when Germany's national motoring body, ADAC, asked him to 'reconsider' his position on Friday.
  
Mosley faces mounting pressure to give up his post as president of the International Motoring Federation (FIA), world motoring and motorsport's ruling body, following lurid revelations about his private life last weekend.
  
The British Sunday newspaper News of the World alleged Mosley, the 67-year-old son of former British fascist party leader Oswald Mosley, was involved in a Nazi-style sex orgy with prostitutes in London last Friday.
  
Mosley has not denied the incident took place but did deny that there were any Nazi connotations.
  
He has also indicated he is preparing action against the newspaper alleging 'invasion of privacy' and he has said he will fight to remain president of the FIA.
  
On Thursday, he called an extraordinary meeting of the FIA membership in order, he said, to provide 'total clarity' on the situation.
  
He already faces a chorus of calls to resign from throughout world motorsport and leading car-builders BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Honda and Toyota have all issued statements distancing themselves from the affair and calling for Mosley to act.
  
Former Formula One team owners Sir Jackie Stewart and Paul Stoddart have also made it clear that Mosley's position is no longer tenable. Australian Stoddart, former owner of the Minardi team, said Mosley was dragging Formula One "into the gutter".
  
In their statement on Friday, ADAC said it confirmed that it had written to Mosley asking him to consider his future, as it did not feel it appropriate he could continue in his role against the backdrop of the scandal.
  
"In a letter to FIA president Max Mosley, the ADAC has distanced itself from events surrounding his person," ADAC said.
  
"According to the ADAC, the role of an FIA president who represents more than 100 million motorists worldwide should not be burdened by such an affair. Therefore, we ask the president to 'very carefully reconsider his role within the organisation'.
  
"According to the ADAC, the appropriate FIA process has to take care of the matter. It is in the interests of this world organisation to carry on with its duties without the burden of this affair."
  
The Dutch motorsport federation (KNAF) went one further than ADAC, president Arie Ruitenbeek calling for Mosley's resignation.
  
"Because of his high-profile position, this can't be accepted," Ruitenbeek said. "I have not received my invitation yet (to the FIA meeting), but we will go and will vote for him to resign."
  
Mosley wrote to all FIA national bodies, including the ADAC, earlier this week to apologise for any embarrassment that the affair had caused.
  
He made it clear he had no intention of stepping down.
  
"I have received a very large number of messages of sympathy and support from those within the FIA and the motor sport and motoring communities generally, suggesting that my private life is not relevant to my work and that I should continue in my role," wrote Mosley in the letter.
  
"I am grateful and with your support I intend to follow this advice."
  
When told of the joint statement by BMW and Mercedes-Benz, he referred to their activities before and during World War II and said he understood why they wished to distance themselves from the alleged orgy. But he said also that it was unfortunate that they had not consulted him before issuing their statements.
  
Bernie Ecclestone, the Formula One boss and a longstanding friend of Mosley's, added: "This is an FIA thing, this is nothing to do with anyone else.
  
"It doesn't affect us in any shape or form. It's not what I think, it's what other people think," Ecclestone told BBC Radio 5 Live.
  
"I'm happy with Max, I don't have any problems at all with Max.
  
"Max will know what he needs to do, he is the president of the FIA, he is the one who will decide what goes on in the FIA - not me."

Date created : 2008-04-05

COMMENT(S)