Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

2015-09-02 20:45 MEDIA WATCH

Read more

THE DEBATE

Erdogan's Toughest Battle? Turkish president reverses course on key issues (part 2)

Read more

THE DEBATE

Erdogan's Toughest Battle? Turkish president reverses course on key issues (part 1)

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

EU policy consigns Greece ‘to deeper depression’, says Stiglitz

Read more

FOCUS

India - Pakistan: A new generation takes up arms in Kashmir

Read more

MIDDLE EAST MATTERS

The road to exile: A Syrian family’s journey across Europe

Read more

ENCORE!

Film Show: Wes Craven, ‘The Brand New Testament’, ‘This Ain't California’

Read more

FACE-OFF

How Europe’s migrant crisis became a political battle

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

France cracks down on internship abuses with system overhaul

Read more

Mauritanian forces capture tourist-slaying suspects

Latest update : 2008-05-01

Five suspected Islamic militants - including a key suspect in the December killing of four French tourists who had earlier escaped custody - were captured in the Mauritanian capital of Nouakchott, according to a senior police official.

Mauritanian security forces recaptured a fugitive al Qaeda member accused of killing four French tourists, in a security sweep on Wednesday that also caught four more suspected militants, the chief prosecutor said.
 
The Dec. 24 killing of the French tourists was followed by a shooting attack against the Israeli embassy in the capital Nouakchott in February, and raised fears of an increase in Islamic militant violence in the western Saharan state.
 
Those arrested in Wednesday's early morning security operation included Sidi Ould Sidna, a key suspect in the slaying of the French tourists, whose escape from police custody outside a courtroom this month led to a nationwide manhunt.
 
Chief prosecutor Mohamed Abadllahi Ould Tiyib said Sidna was detained along with another key suspect, Khadim Ould Semane.
 
"The two most important suspects have been arrested. I have seen them. They are in detention at the gendarmerie," he said.
 
A security source said three others were also detained.
 
"Several searches are under way and those detained have been transferred to a high security location," said the source, who asked not to be named.
 
The spate of attacks, claimed by al Qaeda's North African branch, prompted the cancellation of the Dakar rally for the first time in its history, triggering concerns that al Qaeda was extending its operations into Mauritania from neighbouring Algeria and Morocco.
 

Date created : 2008-04-30

COMMENT(S)