Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

FOCUS

Denmark: How to stop the radicalisation of young people?

Read more

ENCORE!

'Deep Down Dark': Telling the story of the 33 trapped Chilean miners

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Hong Kong's umbrella revolution 'is not dead'

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Media reactions to Boris Nemtsov's murder

Read more

WEB NEWS

Facebook video shows LAPD shooting of homeless man

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Nigerian music: Afropolitan star Yemi Alade on European tour

Read more

DEBATE

The murder of Boris Nemtsov: Who killed charismatic opposition figure? (part 2)

Read more

DEBATE

The murder of Boris Nemtsov: Who killed charismatic opposition figure? (part 1)

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Nissan expects 'dramatic decline' in Russian car market in 2015

Read more

Shell, Repsol renegociate Iran gas deal

Latest update : 2008-05-12

Oil majors Repsol and Royal Dutch Shell pulled out of a 10-billion-dollar Iranian natural gas project, suggesting they wished to exchange it for another project on the South Pars gas field, despite pressure from Washington.

Spain's biggest oil group, Repsol, and British-Dutch peer Royal Dutch Shell are renegotiating their participation in a multi-billion dollar natural gas project in Iran but still want to take part, a Repsol internal source said Monday.
  
"Repsol and Shell are currently negotiating with the government a change" in their participation in the development of the project at Iran's huge South Pars gas field, she told AFP.
  
The two firms want to exchange their participation in bloc 13 for a role in bloc 20 or 21 due to rising development costs, she added.
  
Washington has been putting political pressure on Western companies not to participate in projects in Iran because of suspicions that the Islamic regime is developing a nuclear arms programme.
  
But the Repsol spokeswoman said US pressure played no role in the decision to renegotiate.
  
"If this was the case we would not be in talks to exchange one Iranian bloc for another," she said.
  
Earlier Monday the Financial Times reported that the two firms had pulled out of the 10-billion-dollar (6.5-billion-euro) project to develop bloc 13 of south Pars amid geopolitical uncertainty and rising costs.
  
The newspaper said the two firms could still participate in other blocs.
  
Blocs 20 and 21 will take at least a decade before they become operational while bloc 13 is expected to be developed much sooner, the newspaper said.
  
The US government told Royal Dutch Shell and Repsol, which both have major interests in the United States, in January 2007 that their project in Iran would probably infringe US law, Spanish business daily Expansion reported earlier this month
  

Date created : 2008-05-12

COMMENT(S)