Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

BUSINESS DAILY

Startled startups flee UK ahead of Brexit

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

What's next for Yemen?

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

French Guiana: 'A powder keg abandoned by the state'

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

French presidential election: Over 40% remain undecided

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

ICC orders former DR Congo warlord to pay damages to victims

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Trumpcare falls before first hurdle

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Westminster Attack, Abadi in Washington (part 1)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Obamacare, Europe's Unholy Alliances, Martin McGuinness (part 2)

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

Export bans hit Brazil amid tainted meat scandal

Read more

UN finds seven mass graves in DR Congo

Latest update : 2008-05-24

In two days a UN mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo has found seven mass graves containing over one hundred dead bodies, believed to be victims of the two last civil wars from 1996 to 2003.

Four more mass graves were unearthed Saturday in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo near a site where others containing around 100 bodies had been discovered, the United Nations said.

"The UN Mission in DRCongo (MONUC) ... discovered on Saturday four new mass graves, bringing to seven the number found in the past 24 hours at Maboya," UN spokesman Kemal Saiki said.

Maboya is situated in Nord-Kivu, around 200 kilometres (125 miles) north of the regional capital, Goma.

"According to statements given to MONUC officials by local sources, the graves contains the corpses of civilians -- men, women and children -- plus soldiers from various forces which fought for control of Maboya" between 1996 and 2003, the last two Congolese civil wars, he added.

MONUC estimated there were around 100 bodies in the mass graves discovered Friday, but had no initial estimate of the new discoveries.

Date created : 2008-05-24

COMMENT(S)