Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

IN THE PAPERS

Theresa May: 'It's my way or the highway'

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Nigerian air force mistakenly bombs refugee camp killing at least 50 people

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Brexit Means Hard Brexit

Read more

THE DEBATE

Hard Brexit, here we come: UK to leave EU common market (part 1)

Read more

THE DEBATE

Hard Brexit, here we come: The blowback against globalisation (part 2)

Read more

ENCORE!

Art on the wire and online: Jean-Hubert Martin on curating in cyberspace

Read more

FOCUS

Inside China's answer to Silicon Valley

Read more

ACCESS ASIA

Behind the scenes at China's Harbin snow festival

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

'Donald Trump is a great friend of Israel'

Read more

French hopes narrow as Gasquet pulls out

Latest update : 2009-05-25

Top French tennis player Richard Gasquet, eighth-seeded in the French Open, withdrew Monday from the tournament just hours before his first round game over a knee injury.

REUTERS - France's Richard Gasquet has pulled out of the French Open with a knee injury, organisers said on Monday.

 

The French number one, who was seeded eighth, injured his left knee and will have a scan later in the day.

 

"Gasquet has withdrawn because of a sudden blockage of his left knee," organisers said in a statement.

 

Gasquet, who was scheduled to play compatriot Florent Serra in the first round on Monday, has been replaced in the draw by Colombian Santiago Giraldo.

 

The 21-year-old Gasquet has had a disappointing season so far, winning 10 matches and losing as many, prompting a change of coach last weekend.

 

Organisers added that German Florian Mayer, who was due to play Frenchman Fabrice Santoro, also withdrew because of gastro-enteritis. He will be replaced by Russian Evgeny Korolev.

Date created : 2008-05-26

COMMENT(S)