A young French entrepreneur was reportedly abducted Thursday morning in south-east Afghanistan, said French daily Le Figaro, citing a source close to the victim.
The 37-year-old Frenchman was reportedly abducted Thursday morning on the road between Moqor and Ghazni, in the southeastern Afghani region of Kandahar. According to French daily Le Figaro, he was kidnapped along with his driver and two Afghan collaborators while they were heading for a building site.
The Kandahar region is known to be one of the country’s most dangerous. According to the French daily, the vehicle had already been the target of a gun attack on the same spot a few days earlier.
Having settled in Afghanistan nine years ago, the Frenchman is said to know the country very well. Though he managed a Franco-Afghan firm based in Kabul, he was reportedly considering a return to France due to the deteriorating situation in Afghanistan.
French authorities in Kabul confirm the likelihood of an abduction. They suggest the four men may currently be held by “Taliban sub-contractors,” raising the prospect of their “sale” to the radical Islamists – who may then call for a ransom in exchange for their liberation.
In 2007, two French aid workers were set free after spending three weeks in the Taliban’s custody.
Date created : 2008-05-30