Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Spain 'goes nuclear' on Catalonia

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Civil rights leader Al Sharpton says Trump 'channels' racism

Read more

THE DEBATE

Moment of truth: Spain sets in motion direct rule over Catalonia

Read more

PEOPLE & PROFIT

Must it come down? Market analysts bracing for correction

Read more

FOCUS

Italian regions of Lombardy and Veneto to vote on autonomy

Read more

THE POLITICAL BRIEF

France considers tough new laws to crack down on sexual harassment

Read more

ENCORE!

Inside the new Yves Saint Laurent museum in Morocco

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

California: When your home is reduced to ashes

Read more

FRENCH CONNECTIONS

#balancetonporc: Sexual harassment and gender inequality in France

Read more

Suspected paedophiles on trial for kidnap, rape plot

Latest update : 2008-06-05

Two men accused of plotting to kidnap, rape and torture a little girl and boasting of their plans on the Internet went on trial in northern France Thursday. (Report: E. Irvine)

Two suspected paedophiles went on trial in northern France Thursday accused of plotting to kidnap, rape and torture a little girl and boasting of their plans on the Internet.
  
Christian Cadart, a 49-year-old telecoms technician from the northern Rouen region and Herve Limbour, 41, a painter-decorator from the Riviera city of Nice, were arrested in May last year after a tip-off from a fellow web user.
  
According to the prosecution, the two men plotted in detail over an Internet messenging service how they would kidnap, sexually torture and possibly kill a child. They face 10 years in jail if convicted.
  
They were nabbed after a Belgian Internet user alerted police in his country, who put the men under surveillance.
  
Cadart, who went by the pseudoym "Herrio", was arrested as he showed an undercover officer the disused electric power transformer where he said he planned to sequester his victim.
  
His alleged accomplice Limbour, who called himself "Diablo", was arrested after making telephone calls describing sexual assaults on girls in his home town.
  
Both men insist the kidnap plans were a "fantasy" never intended to be carried out.
  
A third man is in the dock at the two-day trial accused of possessing and sharing child pornography.
  

Date created : 2008-06-05

COMMENT(S)