Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

FASHION

Paris Men's Fall/Winter 2015, freedom of speech triumphs

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Davos 2015: Businesses 'cautiously optimistic' in Japan

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Twitter storm as IMF boss Christine Lagarde hails Saudi King Abdullah as 'strong advocate of women'

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

DR CONGO: Senate amends controversial constitutional law

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Pope Family Planning: Heated Debate over Pontiff's 'Rabbit' Comments (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Saudi King Abdullah Dies: Succession, Stability and Youth in Question (part 1)

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

France tackles terror

Read more

THE BUSINESS INTERVIEW

Jean-Pascal Tricoire, CEO of Schneider Electric: 'France is on a better track'

Read more

DEBATE

Davos debate: Can big business agree on climate deal? (part 2)

Read more

Europe

Court requests changes to Polanski documentary

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2009-09-29

US channel HBO has changed part of "Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired", a documentary about the director's life, after a Los Angeles court issued a complaint about the way the movie depicts one of its judges.

AFP - A documentary on fugitive director Roman Polanski has been altered after complaints from Los Angeles court officials over a key assertion in the film, US cable channel HBO said Monday.

A statement regarding a judge's action in the film "Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired", which spotlights the film-maker's 1978 trial for having sex with a 13-year-old, drew an angry response by the Los Angeles Superior Court.

The initial version of the film said a Los Angeles judge in 1997 had told lawyers Polanski could return to the United States and face no further time behind bars -- provided his sentencing hearing was televised.

However the Los Angeles Superior Court on Monday issued a statement describing the assertion "as a complete fabrication without any basis in fact."

A spokeswoman for HBO later said the wording of the text in the film, due to be premiered in the US for the first time later Monday, had subsequently been changed to reflect the court's complaints.

"We have updated a statement at the end of the film to reflect new information that was provided to us by the court only late last week," a statement from HBO said.

According to the HBO statement, the film's wording says that the judge involved in the case agreed Polanski would serve no more time in custody if he returned to the United States.

"'However the judge insisted that the hearing be held 'in public, on the record and in open court.' Given the possibility that it would be televised, Polanski declined,'" the updated text reads, according to HBO.

The original wording read: "The judge agreed that if Polanski returned to the US, he would serve no more time in custody. On one condition: The judge wanted the proceedings to be televised. Under those circumstances, Polanski declined."

Polanski, 74, remains a fugitive from US authorities, having fled the United States before sentencing. US prosecutors have vowed to arrest him if he ever returned, a fact that prevented Polanski from collecting his best director Oscar for "The Pianist" in 2003.

Date created : 2008-06-10

COMMENT(S)