Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Netanyahu deletes tweet featuring photo of James Foley

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 22 August 2014 (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 22 August 2014

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Read more

FOCUS

Lifting the veil over China's air pollution

Read more

ENCORE!

Tango Takeover in Paris

Read more

WEB NEWS

Calls for ISIS media blackout after execution of James Foley

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Steely resolve of reporters exploited by pared-down employers'

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

US judge calls Argentina bond swap offer illegal

Read more

  • French teenage girls held over Syria jihad plans

    Read more

  • Israel pounds Gaza but phones targets with warnings

    Read more

  • Bombs across Iraq kill dozens as violence escalates

    Read more

  • Good borders make good neighbours, Merkel tells Ukraine

    Read more

  • Iceland issues aviation alert on volcano activity

    Read more

  • France will not be 'be pushed around' by Germany

    Read more

  • Libya withdraws as Africa Cup of Nations host

    Read more

  • ‘European GPS’ satellites launched into wrong orbit

    Read more

  • Video: Israel bombs kidnapping suspect’s home

    Read more

  • US brands journalist’s beheading a ‘terrorist attack’

    Read more

  • Ebola prompts Philippines to recall UN troops in Liberia

    Read more

  • Besieged by problems, Hollande faces unhappy return from summer holidays

    Read more

  • US sued over ‘deportation mill’ in New Mexico

    Read more

  • Colombian army and FARC rebels in face-to-face talks

    Read more

  • US National Guard starts to pull out of embattled Ferguson

    Read more

  • August 22, 1914: The bloodiest day in French military history

    Read more

  • US job market yet to recover from recession, says Fed Chair

    Read more

Key six-party North Korea talks set to resume

Latest update : 2008-07-10

Six-party talks on North Korea's nuclear programmes are set to resume after a nine-month break. The United States has described this round of discussions as "pivotal".

Talks on North Korea's nuclear programmes were set to resume on Thursday after a nine-month break, with the United States describing the latest round as pivotal in the long-running disarmament process.
   
Envoys from the six nations involved in the talks were due to gather in Beijing from 4:00 pm (0800 GMT) to capitalise on recent progress that saw the North last month finally give a declaration of its nuclear activities.
   
The United States responded to the North's declaration by easing some trade sanctions and beginning the process of taking the North off its list of state sponsors of terrorism.
   
The developments have fuelled cautious optimism of further progress in the often tortuous talks, which began in 2003 and involve China as host, the two Koreas, the United States, Japan and Russia.
   
US officials have said one of the main points of focus will be working out how to verify the declaration, while the North has signalled it wants to be fully rewarded for its latest steps towards dismantlement.
   
"We are at a very pivotal point in the six party process," US National Security Council director for Asia Dennis Wilder said on Saturday as he outlined US priorities for this week's talks.
   
North Korea made its declaration as part of a landmark disarmament accord agreed in the six-party forum in February last year.
   
The declaration was a key part of the so-called "second phase" of the agreement, with the first phase seeing North Korea shut down its main plutonium-producing reactor at Yongbyon in July.
   
It then began disabling the plant under the supervision of US inspectors in in November, and last month blew up the cooling tower at Yongbyon in a gesture intended to demonstrate its commitment to disarmament.
   
The Yongbyon plant was the source of the material the North used to conduct its first atomic test in 2006, an event that saw the United States soften its hardline stance against Pyongyang and begin offering incentives for disarmament.
   
The North's declaration covered its nuclear facilities and the production of the plutonium, but not weapons or a suspected programme involving highly enriched uranium that can also be used to make bombs.
   
The third and final phase of the disarmament deal calls for the North to permanently dismantle its atomic plants and hand over all nuclear material and weaponry.
   
In return, it would receive wide ranging energy aid benefits, as well as a restoration of diplomatic ties with the United States and Japan.
   
However the US envoy to the talks warned the next stage in the process -- verifying the North's declaration -- may take months.
   
"Verification itself will take longer than just a few days, verification will take several weeks or even months. But we need to agree on how verification will work," Christopher Hill said in Beijing on Wednesday.
   
Meanwhile, the North has complained the other parties have not fulfilled their ends of the bargain, particularly the delivery of one million tonnes of fuel it was meant to receive during the second phase.
   
"We stick to the principled basic position that the principle of action for action must be respected," a North Korean foreign ministry spokesman said on July 4.
   
He complained that while 80 percent of the Yongbyon facility had been disabled, only 40 percent of the promised energy aid had been delivered.
   
The spokesman also complained that Washington's decision to drop the North from a terrorism blacklist, as agreed to in last year's accord, had not yet taken effect "due to procedural reasons."
   
After the declaration was handed over, US President George W. Bush notified Congress of his plan to drop the North from a list of state sponsors of terrorism.
   
But the move cannot take effect until a 45-day review period has passed.

Date created : 2008-07-10

COMMENT(S)