Two French men including an Air Force corporal were arrested in connection with an attack on a Jewish 17-year old, now awake from a coma after the brutal beating on June 21.
The 17-year-old was left in a coma after a brutal beating on June 21 that was at first presented as an attack on an isolated Jew before police found he had been involved in a fight between a group of young Jews and youths of African origin.
A judicial source said on Thursday that the two men placed under investigation, a step that is short of charges but can lead to trial, also face a formal inquiry for anti-Semitism.
A third suspect, a young man from
All three deny the accusations against them.
President Nicolas Sarkozy was among prominent French politicians who rushed to condemn the beating as an attack on an isolated boy who was singled out because he was wearing a kippa.
But the police investigation over the following days revealed a more complex picture of a neighbourhood where gangs of youths of Arab, African and Jewish origin regularly come to blows.
Police found that the victim, who was known to them for his involvement in previous fights, had been involved in a fight between Jewish and black youths and was unable to flee in time.
He has now come out of his coma and has told police he has no memory of the attack on him. Police arrested the three suspects after investigations using wiretaps and witnesses.
One suspect, a 26-year-old from the neighbourhood, is accused of beating the teenager with a crutch, while the other, who is 25 and lives in one of the troubled suburbs of
Local councillors in the
Date created : 2008-07-12