Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

IN THE PAPERS

Germany's World Cup title

Read more

FASHION

Paris, Haute Couture Fall/Winter 2014-2015

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Farnborough air show takes off but F-35 jet is grounded

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Bastille Day celebrations

Read more

TOUR DE TECH

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Ebola death toll increases in Sierra Leone

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Finally, a good use for new app "Yo"

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

Viviane Reding, MEP, European People's Party

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

Schulz returns to Parliament presidency: back to business as usual?

Read more

  • Live: France celebrates Bastille Day

    Read more

  • In pictures: 2014 World Cup historic moments

    Read more

  • Boules and booze: Bastille Day à la New Yorkaise

    Read more

  • Kremlin mulls 'retaliatory strikes' after death of Russian civilian

    Read more

  • Senegal honours the soldiers who fought for France in WWI

    Read more

  • Clashes erupt in Paris as thousands march to support Palestinians

    Read more

  • Operations underway to refloat shipwrecked Costa Concordia

    Read more

  • Germany defeat Argentina 1-0 to win fourth World Cup title

    Read more

  • Paris’s Bastille Day fireworks ‘a homage to victims’ of WWI

    Read more

  • Thousands flee northern Gaza after Israeli warning

    Read more

  • Major differences remain as deadline looms in Iran nuclear talks

    Read more

  • Rival Libyan militias exchange heavy fire at Tripoli airport

    Read more

  • French military to extend Mali 'counterterrorism' operations into Sahel

    Read more

  • Legendary conductor Lorin Maazel dies aged 84

    Read more

Sudan slams threat of genocide charge

©

Latest update : 2008-07-12

A senior Sudanese official warned that any move by the International Criminal Court to try President Omar al-Bashir for genocide in Darfur could "destroy the peace process". Darfur rebel groups however, welcomed the move.

Representatives of Darfur rebel groups on Friday welcomed news that International Criminal Court prosecutors would seek the arrest of Sudan President Omar al-Beshir.
   
Sudan Liberation Movement Unity's (SLM) Sharif Harir said: "Hallelujah. I think that the people in Darfur and the movements will be very happy."
   
Meanwhile the Justice and Equality Movement's (JEM) Ahmed Hussein described it as "good news for the people of Darfur".
   
"It would be a very historical kind of victory for humanity," he added.
   
Earlier on Friday, US State Department spokesman Sean McCormack confirmed that ICC prosecutors would seek Beshir's arrest as they open a case covering crimes committed in the Darfur region over the last five years.
   
"I understand that the prosecutor intends to go before a panel of judges to present information and request for a warrant," said McCormack.
   
The news prompted an angry reaction from the Sudanese government, with the state minister for foreign affairs Al-Samani al-Wasila telling AFP that any decision about the president could "destroy the peace process".
   
But both SLM and JEM representatives said they were "not worried" about any retaliation.
   
"There's nothing they can do that they are not already doing," said Hussein.
   
The SLM and JEM representatives were in Geneva attending a two-day workship with United Nations officials on the humanitarian situation in Darfur.
   
Humanitarian adviser at the Centre for Humanitarian Dialogue Denis McNamara said the centre and the UN's humanitarian affairs bureau OCHA had put together the workshop as the situation was "getting drastic and getting worse".
   
So far this year, some 164 humanitarian vehicles have been hijacked, said McNamara, and some 60 drivers are still missing.
   
Most recently, seven UNAMID peacekeepers were killed in an ambush.
   
"This is a dire humanitarian situation, we're running out of adjectives for Darfur. Personally I don't see how humanitarian agencies can continue at this rate of attacks," said McNamara.
   
After the workshop, both rebel groups issued a joint statement saying they "strongly denounce all attacks on humanitarian workers, car-jacking and condemn the recent attack on UNAMID".
   
In the statement, they said they would "strengthen" their efforts to trace and intercept hijacked vehicles and stolen aid materials that move through areas controlled by their respective groups.
   
"We reaffirm our commitment to clearly instructing our personnel on the ground regarding their obligations under human rights and international humanitarian law," said to the statement.

Date created : 2008-07-12

Comments

COMMENT(S)