Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

REVISITED

After key battle, Syrian town of Kobane looks to the future

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

'War is not an option,' says former FARC guerrilla leader

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Madagascar political crisis: top court orders formation of unity government

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Ireland's abortion referendum

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Weinstein in court; Ireland abortion vote; Italy's populist takeover

Read more

YOU ARE HERE

Sugar and spice: The flavours of the French Caribbean

Read more

FRENCH CONNECTIONS

The French are so rude! Or are they?

Read more

ENCORE!

The writing's on the wall: Revolutionary posters from May 68

Read more

REPORTERS

'We heard there might be a civil war': May 68 seen from abroad

Read more

Tourists targeted in Jordan bus attack

Latest update : 2008-07-17

A gunman opened fire on a tourist bus in the Jordanian capital of Amman, wounding six, including four Lebanese nationals, a Palestinian and a Jordanian. The alleged attacker attempted to commit suicide, according to a Jordanian official.

Six tourists in Jordan were wounded after a gunman opened fire on their bus in the capital Amman, a government spokesman told AFP.

Those wounded, four Lebanese nationals, a Palestinian and a Jordanian, had not been seriously hurt and were receiving treatment, said government spokesman and Information Minister Nasser Jawdeh.

The alleged attacker tried to commit suicide, Jawdeh added.

"He was seriously wounded and is receiving treatment," he said.

Witnesses told AFP that an individual began shooting at the bus near the Roman amphitheatre in the city centre at around 11:00 pm (2000 GMT).

They said the attacker did not have a beard and did not appear to be an Islamic militant. He shot himself in the head when police tried to arrest him.

After the attack, police immediately sealed off the area.

Police also stopped journalists from approaching the al-Bashir hospital in the east of the city, where the wounded were being treated.

Jawdeh insisted that the attack had been an isolated incident and played down any suggestion of a political element.

At the time of the attack, tourists were arriving to attend an evening of music at the amphitheatre, said witnesses.

The event was part of the Festival of Jordan, which has been surrounded by controversy.

A group of 14 Jordanian trade unions called for Arab and Jordanian singers to boycott the festival, saying the French company Publicis that organised it had also worked on the celebrations for Israel's 60th anniversary earlier this year.

Both Publicis and the Jordanian government have denied the accusation.

It is the fourth attack on tourists in Jordan in the last two years.

In September 2006, a Briton was killed and five other tourists wounded in an attack by the Roman amphitheatre, and three months later a Dutch tourist was wounded.

In March 2008 a German tourist was wounded in an attack while he was walking in the centre of Amman.

 

Date created : 2008-07-17

COMMENT(S)