The Basque separatist group ETA exploded four bombs in seaside resorts of northern Spain, after warning authorities. There were no reported casualties.
There were no casualties because the authorities evacuated the areas in response to the warning.
"We received a call at around 10.30 am from someone who said they represented ETA and told us ETA had planted 4 bombs on beaches at
The first bomb exploded at about 1015 GMT on a seafront promenade in
Holidaymakers had been cleared from the beach 45 minutes earlier and took cover in local cafes and bars which drew down shutters to protect against the blast, witnesses told radio.
"There were no injuries because the area had been cleared and cordoned off," a national government spokesman said.
Many European schools have started, or are beginning to start their summer holidays.
The second bomb went off in dunes at Noja, about 19 miles (30 km) from
Poor weather meant there were few people on the Noja beach but a police call to evacuate the area sent tourists running, blocking the road out of town to the city of
The third explosion was in
Police continued to look for the fourth device.
The explosions marked the beginning of ETA's traditional summer bombing campaign in which it targets Spanish holiday resorts as part of its 4-decade struggle for an independent Basque state in northern
Emergency authorities received a call telling them ETA had planted four bombs on the beaches of
ETA (Euskadi ta Askatasuna, or Basque Country and Freedom) is listed as a terrorist organisation by
More than 750 suspected ETA members have been detained since 2000.
The Cantabria blasts were the first attributed to ETA since May 14 when the separatists exploded a bomb without warning at the Civil Guard barracks in Legutiano, killing policeman Juan Manuel Pinuel-Villalon and injuring 4 others.
Date created : 2008-07-20