Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

FOCUS

The Arab Spring's unfulfilled promises

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Deadly attack on U.N. base in northern Mali

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

The Pope meets the Patriarch

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

The Pope meets the Russian Patriarch

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Trump and Bern: outsiders win big in New Hampshire (part 1)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Recycle and spin: Hollande includes greens in new cabinet (part 2)

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Paris: A nightlife in limbo?

Read more

REVISITED

Video: 40 years on, Franco's ghost still haunts Spain

Read more

#TECH 24

'Life as a cyborg' with Angel Giuffria

Read more

Senegal clears way for Habre trial

Latest update : 2008-07-24

The Senegalese government has lifted the final obstacle to the trial of former Chadian dictator Hissene Habre for human rights crimes. Habre is accused of killing and torturing opponents during his 1982-1990 rule in Chad.

Senegal lifted the last constitutional obstacle to its courts trying former Chadian dictator Hissene Habre for human rights crimes, the Senegalese Minister of Justice said on Wednesday.
 
The West African country's upper and lower legislative chambers passed an empowering bill and appointed four judges, paving the way for legal proceedings to start against Habre, who is accused of torturing and killing opponents during his 1982-1990 rule in Chad.
 
Senegal, where Habre has lived since his overthrow, was ordered by the African Union two years ago to try the Chadian, in what campaigners say would be the first time one developing nation has tried someone for human rights abuses in another.
 
"We have witnessed a joint session of the parliament which gave us the legal basis to try President Habre," Justice Minister Madicke Niang told reporters.
 
He was speaking after the National Assembly and Senate passed a bill allowing Senegal's courts to try crimes either committed abroad or more than 10 years in the past.
 
"I have appointed four investigative judges, those judges will know about the case," Niang said.
 
"We have moved forward a great deal. We are completing all the steps that would lead us to the start of the trial," he said, without naming the judges.
 
Human rights campaigners welcomed Wednesday's move.
 
"This is a very positive step. It's been eight years since Habre was first indicted, but it now looks like Senegal is finally rolling up its sleeves," said Reed Brody, a lawyer with U.S.-based Human Rights Watch.
 
"There are still a number of crucial decisions Senegal has to make. It's very important that Senegal circumscribes the charges and puts forward a plan, a calendar and a budget so justice can actually be achieved," he said.
 
In May, Senegal appointed top judge Ibrahima Gueye as trial coordinator, in line with recommendations from a European Union legal expert advising the government.
 
The overall cost of the trial has been estimated at 18 billion CFA, ($43.22 million) most of which is expected to be paid by international donors, but Niang said that so far, Senegal alone had paid trial expenses of 1 billion CFA.
 

Date created : 2008-07-24

COMMENT(S)