After a two-day hearing on ruling ANC chief Jacob Zuma, a South African court said it would need more time to decide whether or not to push corruption charges against him. The ruling is expected on September 12.
The judge in South African ruling party chief Jacob Zuma's graft case said Tuesday he will decide next month whether to throw out charges against him as two days of hearings concluded.
"Judgement will be given on 12 September," Judge Chris Nicholson told the court of the case involving the 66-year-old favourite to become South Africa's president next year.
He added that the case would in the meantime be adjourned until a "provisional date of 8 December."
Zuma left the courtroom soon after and was welcomed by thousands of cheering supporters who denounce the charges against him as a political vendetta designed to keep him from becoming president.
He had promised to address them on Tuesday after speaking briefly to a crowd of supporters after the previous day's hearing.
The ANC chief, who toppled South African President Thabo Mbeki as head of the party in December, is facing more than a dozen charges ranging from money-laundering to racketeering, brought against him as a result of a seven-year investigation.
The main charge against is that he allegedly received bribes for protecting French arms company Thint in an investigation into an arms deal.
Zuma had been accused of soliciting a bribe of 500,000 rand (68,000 euros, 43,500 dollars) annually from the company, a subsidiary of Thales.
The ANC leader has said he would stand down if convicted but will not do so while the accusations are unproven.
Date created : 2008-08-05