Georgia's government has called for a ceasefire in the breakaway region of South Ossetia, even as two soldiers were killed and three wounded in "large-scale battles" near the village of Avnevi.
Two Georgian soldiers were killed and three seriously wounded in clashes with rebels in the breakaway region of South Ossetia, a senior Georgian official told AFP on Thursday.
"Two Georgian peacekeepers were killed and three seriously wounded in the South Ossetian conflict zone," said Alexander Lomaya, secretary of Georgia's National Security Council.
He added: "We can't evacuate injured soldiers from the battlefield as the separatists are still shooting despite our decision to cease fire unilaterally."
Georgia's interior ministry earlier on Thursday had said "large-scale battles" were underway in the breakaway region of South Ossetia and confirmed that rebels had destroyed a Georgian armoured personnel carrier.
"Currently large-scale battles are underway near the village of Avnevi," ministry spokesman Shota Utiashvili told AFP, referring to a Georgian-controlled village in South Ossetia.
"A Georgian armoured personnel carrier was destroyed by South Ossetian militants near the village of Avnevi one hour ago and three Georgian peacekeepers were wounded as a result," he said.
Date created : 2008-08-07