Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

International Francophone Games kick off in Abidjan

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Iran open to dialogue with Saudis, says top diplomat

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Spicer bows out of White House

Read more

FOCUS

Iraq's Mosul: Rebuilding a city fractured by sectarian mistrust

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Bistrot or bust? Why France's famed cafés are disappearing

Read more

REPORTERS

Video: Afghans live in fear as kidnappings soar

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Kenya court rules Dubai firm can print presidential ballots

Read more

ENCORE!

Omar El Akkad's 'American War': A tale of US dystopia

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Exxon sues US over $2m fine for violating Russia sanctions

Read more

Davenport withdraws from singles tournament

Latest update : 2008-08-08

Former Olympic tennis champion Lindsay Davenport has been forced to pull out of the Beijing women's singles tournament due to a knee injury, though she is still hoping to play doubles with Liezel Huber.

Former Olympic champion Lindsay Davenport has withdrawn from the singles tournament in Beijing, the International Tennis Federation (ITF) said on Friday.

Davenport, who has been struggling with a right knee injury, is still hoping to play doubles with Liezel Huber.

The 32-year-old American has not played a match since Wimbledon in June where she was forced to withdraw in the second round.

Three-times grand slam champion Davenport, who came out of retirement last year after giving birth to her son with the specific intention of competing in Beijing, still hopes to win another medal to go with her gold from Atlanta in 1996.

"I'm fortunate to have the number one (doubles) player in the world as a doubles partner," Davenport told reporters.

The ITF said it would confirm who will replace Davenport on Saturday. The Olympic tennis tournament begins on Sunday.

Date created : 2008-08-08

COMMENT(S)