Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

WEB NEWS

Japan: online campaign to free journalist held by Isis

Read more

DEBATE

Obama in Saudi Arabia: Oil diplomacy triumphs in face of human rights abuses (part 2)

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'There have never been so many jobseekers in France'

Read more

DEBATE

Obama in Saudi Arabia: Oil diplomacy triumphs in face of human rights abuses (part 1)

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Auschwitz, 70 years on

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Former LRA commander appears before ICC

Read more

WEB NEWS

'Snowmageddon 2015': Web users brace for massive snow storm

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

In Nazi death camps, 'I asked myself where God was all the time'

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Far-left and far-right celebrate Syriza's victory

Read more

Two bombs disrupt Spanish beach resort in Malaga

Latest update : 2008-08-17

Two small bombs exploded without causing any casualties on a highly popular beach in Malaga, in southern Spain. The beach was evacuated after a warning allegedly made in the name of armed Basque separatist group ETA.

Two small devices exploded near the Spanish resort of Malaga on Sunday and police closed a key road looking for a third, but authorities added that nobody had been hurt by the blasts after receiving a bomb warning.

Police had to clear a packed beach in Malaga before the first explosion at around 1 p.m. (1100 GMT) and later had to move what Spanish media said were thousands of people from a marina in the nearby town of Benalmadena before the second blast at 3 p.m.

"Two devices exploded, in Benalmadena and on Guadalmar beach in the (provincial) capital. They were of little power and did not cause injuries or physical damage," said a spokeswoman for the office of the central government in Malaga.

The website of El Mundo newspaper quoted security sources as saying the telephone caller claimed the attacks on behalf of Basque separatist rebels ETA, but the spokeswoman said she did not know of any claim.

Meanwhile, police closed Spain's main coastal motorway while they hunted for a third device somewhere between Malaga and the Costa del Sol resort of Torremolinos, an interior ministry spokesman said.

The incident triggered travel chaos on what is traditionally one of the busiest weekends of the year on Spanish roads.

Last month ETA exploded four small bombs at popular seaside resorts in the north of the country, marking the start of its usual summer bombing campaign to disrupt one of the most important sectors of the Spanish economy.

ETA has killed more than 800 people in four decades of armed struggle for Basque independence from Spain. Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero broke off talks with ETA in December 2006 after its rebels set off a bomb that killed two people at Madrid airport.
 

Date created : 2008-08-17

COMMENT(S)