FIFA lifted the suspension threat hanging on Poland after authorities there confirmed they would restore the sacked management of the country's football federation. The suspension would have resulted in Poland not being able to host Euro 2012.
World soccer's governing body FIFA has dropped its threat of sanctions on Poland after reaching an agreement with the country's government, FIFA president Sepp Blatter said on Monday.
"We have received letters and documents that there has been an agreement between the FA and the Polish government," Blatter told reporters in Brussels.
"If this agreement comes into force tomorrow it is sufficient for us. We will not impose any sanctions once the agreement comes into force."
FIFA last week warned the Polish government that it was facing the possible suspension of its national football team after it decided to remove the FA's leadership and install a government-appointed administrator.
European soccer's governing body UEFA also said that Poland would likely lose its right to host the 2012 European Championship unless an agreement was reached before FIFA's Monday deadline.
According to a statement released by FIFA following Blatter's announcement, the Polish government has agreed to end its administration of the football association and adhere a "roadmap" set up following a similar row in 2007.
Under the terms of the agreement, FIFA said that an independent electoral committee comprising government, FIFA and UEFA representatives, would oversee upcoming elections for the leadership of the Polish FA.
"This positive evolution will allow the two 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifying matches Poland v Czech Republic and Slovakia v Poland, scheduled for Oct 11 and 15, to take place," the statement said.
"However, FIFA will continue to closely monitor the situation at the Polish FA and the implementation of the measures established in the roadmap.
"The matter will be analysed and discussed once more at the next FIFA Executive Committee meeting on 23-24 October."
Date created : 2008-10-06