Lance Armstrong's comeback tour is set to take the 37-year-old US cyclist on the roads of Italy. The seven-time Tour de France winner, who's never taken part in the Tour of Italy, announced he would race in the Giro's centenary in may 2009.
Multiple Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong, who recently announced his return to competition, will race in next year's Tour of Italy in the event's centenary year, organising group RCS said on Monday.
Giro d'Italia chief Angelo Zomegnan had already invited the seven-time Tour de France champion to make what would be a maiden appearance in the Giro d'Italia and the American has admitted that he would like to do so.
"Not participating in the Giro was a regret of mine. I would love to try that, with their 100th year anniversary," said Armstrong, who is returning to the sport after a three-year hiatus.
Zomegnan had told La Gazzetta dello Sport last Friday: "He has been invited."
Armstrong, 37, will make his much-anticipated return to competitive racing at the Tour Down Under in January after receiving the green light from UCI officials.
Spaniard Alberto Contador, who rides for the Astana team which Armstrong has recently joined, is the reigning Giro champion.
Date created : 2008-10-13