Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

BUSINESS DAILY

Dublin courts post-Brexit business

Read more

FOCUS

Afghanistan's national unity government faces political deadlock

Read more

REPORTERS

World War I: When northern France was on German time

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

Mixed reactions to historic Colombia peace deal

Read more

ENCORE!

The adventures of Hergé: Tintin's creator in the limelight

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Carmakers rev up for Paris Motor Show

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Paris Motor Show gets into gear

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Between darkness and fear: Bombs rain down in Aleppo

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Shimon Peres: From Hawk to Dove

Read more

British defence ministry releases UFO files

Latest update : 2008-10-20

Britain's defence ministry has publicised a range of previously secret files regarding UFO sightings. The 19 different reports were recorded between 1986 and 1992 and have been published on the National Archives website.

Britain's defence ministry made public secret files on UFO sightings Monday, with the dossier including reports ranging from a woman claiming to be an alien to calm pilots giving objective accounts.
   
The 19 different incidents were recorded between 1986 and 1992, and published by the National Archives on its website.
   
Among the recorded incidents was a letter dated March 1990 from a woman who claimed she was an alien whose spaceship landed during World War II and was recovered by the British military.
   
"The crashed vehicle contained two males from Spectra, a planet orbiting the star Zeta Tucanae, and a female from one of the two inhabited planets in the Sirius system, Amazon the planet of warrior women," she wrote in the letter, which also included sketches of herself and of Spectrans.
   
"That female was me," she wrote.
   
Though the letter did not spark an investigation, another report from an Alitalia pilot did.
   
On April 21, 1991, the captain of an Alitalia airliner was on its way to London's Heathrow Airport from Milan when it had a close call with a UFO, the newly-revealed documents showed.
   
"At once I said, 'look out, look out,' to my co-pilot, who looked out and saw what I had seen," Achille Zaghetti said in a report on the incident.
   
"As soon as the object crossed us I asked to the ACC (area control centre) operator if he saw something on his screen and he answered 'I see an unknown target 10nm (nautical miles) behind you'."
   
Meanwhile, a local television station had broadcast a story of a 14-year-old boy who said he had seen a low-flying missile disappear that same evening.
   
Radar images at that time initially labelled the object, "cruise missile??", but it was later confirmed that it was not a military weapon.
   
But by July 2, however, a defence ministry inquiry found the UFO had not come from any Army firing ranges, and added there had not been any "space-related activity" that night.
  

Date created : 2008-10-20

COMMENT(S)