Ramon Calderon, Real Madrid's President, put an end to the highly publicised chase to sign Manchester United star Ronaldo by confirming on the BBC his club is giving up the idea of recruiting him this season.
Real Madrid said on Friday that their pursuit of Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo is over.
The 23-year-old Portuguese winger, who is under contract at Old Trafford until 2012, was heavily linked with a switch to Spain earlier this year.
But Real president Ramon Calderon told the BBC: Manchester (United) would not like to lose him - that is the situation. They are very clear about that so now it is a situation we have to forget."
Ronaldo scored 41 goals last season for United to spark a Premier League-Champions League double and Calderon admitted that the player is unlikely to move to Spain.
"Manchester didn't want to sell over the last three or four months but we don't want to get into trouble with them as they are one of the biggest clubs in the world," he said
"You can never be sure what will happen in the future but Real Madrid want to have a good relationship with Manchester.
"We do not want disturb them in any way over any possible signing that they are not willing to accept.
"We know it is not easy to sign players from big clubs in the middle of the season.
"I don't think we'll sign anyone unless we have any serious injuries."
Date created : 2008-10-25