French-Polish film director Roman Polanski has asked a US court to drop a statutory rape charge against him dating from 1977. Polanski was arrested after the parents of a 13-year-old girl filed a complaint and remains a fugitive from the USA.
AFP - Polish-French director Roman Polanski on Tuesday filed a request through his Los Angeles lawyer asking that prosecutors drop statutory rape charges filed against him in 1978 for having sex with a minor, court sources said.
The attorneys said they have new evidence that Polanski, 75, was a victim of prosecutorial misconduct in the three-decade-old case, in which he admitted at the time to "unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor."
Born in France of Polish parents and raised in Poland, Polanski was arrested after the parents of a 13-year-old girl complained to police. He fled the United States after a plea agreement.
The charges against him were not dropped and Polanski never again set foot in the United States, not even to receive the 2003 Oscar awarded him for best director in "The Pianist."
The sex crimes case, one of Hollywood's most notorious and titillating ever, spawned a generation of tabloid media and accusations of perverse justice. The case was revisited in a documentary "Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired" that aired earlier in the year at the Sundance Film Festival.
The documentary film by director Marina Zenovich premiered at the film festival on the 30th anniversary earlier this year of Polanski's court case, offering a sympathetic view of the famed director who fled to avoid being jailed.
Polanski, acclaimed for "Chinatown" (1974) and "Rosemary's Baby" (1968), is still a US fugitive.
Date created : 2008-12-03