Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

France 24 meets George Weah ahead of inauguration

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Gymnast's fierce courtroom address

Read more

THE DEBATE

A whole new world: Trump anniversary special

Read more

#TECH 24

Will artificial intelligence ever surpass the human brain?

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Aiding migrants in France: What are the legal implications?

Read more

FOCUS

The challenge of clearing Colombia of landmines

Read more

REVISITED

Video: Gambians reflect on first year of democracy

Read more

FASHION

Pitti Uomo in Florence, the world's largest men's fashion showcase

Read more

ENCORE!

Award-winning Filipino filmmaker Brillante Mendoza on keeping it real

Read more

Abbas blames Hamas for failing to avert violence

Latest update : 2008-12-28

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas said Sunday of the Gaza violence that he had previously advised Hamas not to end the truce, a move he believes "could have avoided these massacres."

Reuters - Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas blamed the rival Hamas group on Sunday for triggering Israel's deadly raids on Gaza by not extending a six-month truce with the Jewish state.

 

Abbas, whose Fatah movement has been at loggerheads with the Islamist group, said maintaining the truce could have helped the Palestinians avoid the Israeli raids, which have killed more than 270 people in Gaza in the past two days.

 

"We talked to them (Hamas) and we told them 'please, we ask you, do not end the truce. Let the truce continue and not stop' so that we could have avoided what happened," he said in Cairo.

 

The two groups have been at odds since Hamas won parliamentary elections in 2006 and then drove Fatah forces out of Gaza in June 2007.

 

Israel said its raids were in response to cross-border rocket attacks by Hamas. Each side blamed the other for violating and failing to extend the Egyptian-brokered truce, which expired on Dec. 19.

 

Abbas, speaking after talks with Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, said the priority was to end the bloodshed and restore
the truce.

 

Foreign Minister Ahmed Aboul Gheit of Egypt, which has mediated between Hamas and Israel and between Hamas and the Palestinian Authority, said the Israeli ambassador was summoned to the Foreign Ministry on Sunday for the second day in a row to receive a complaint about Israeli military operations.

 

"We object to this and we demand a stop and that the Israeli army does not carry out a new invasion," he said.

 

The Egyptian minister said a ceasefire would be the aim of a meeting of Arab foreign ministers in Cairo on Sunday.

 

Several Arab leaders have proposed an Arab summit to respond to the attacks on Gaza but Aboul Gheit suggested a meeting could be some way off.

 

"Priority is the Arab measures at the level of foreign ministers ... then we can look at a later phase, but we don't imagine moving without proper preparation for such a summit. First we have to look at the ceasefire measures," he said.

 

Date created : 2008-12-28

COMMENT(S)