Two American soldiers were killed in a suicide attack on Thursday in the southern province of Kandahar, while a separate suicide bomb claimed six lives in a food market on the Iranian border. The Taliban took responsibility for the first blast.
AFP - A suicide attack in a crowded fruit market on Afghanistan's border with Iran killed six people Friday, a provincial governor said, revising downward an earlier toll.
The explosion ripped through the market in the small town of Zaranj in the southwestern province of Nimroz.
"Five civilians have been killed and one police commander," provincial governor Ghulam Dastagir Azad told AFP, after saying earlier that more than 10 people had been killed.
"All the collapsed shops were cleared. The death toll will not change any more," he said.
Six other people, one of them a policeman, were wounded, he said.
Azad earlier said the dead included the provincial police deputy chief of operations, Gul Muhammad Khan, and his driver.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the blast, but it was similar to scores of others that have been carried out by the extremist Taliban movement which is waging an insurgency against the US-backed government.
Separately, the Taliban said one of its men carried out a suicide attack on Thursday in the town of Maywand, in the southern province of Kandahar.
Two US soldiers were killed in that blast, the US military said, and Afghan officials said two Afghan civilians died and at least a dozen were injured.
NATO and US-led troops are fighting the Taliban-led insurgents alongside Afghan security forces. Violence has steadily increased since the hardliners were ousted from power in late 2001 in a US-led invasion.
Date created : 2009-01-09