Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

AFRICA NEWS

South Africa : Apartheid killer De Kock denied parole

Read more

FOCUS

Bastille Day: youth pays hommage to ancestors who fought 'Great War' (1914 - 1918)

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

Nigel Farage, Leader of the UK Independence Party

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

Endocrine disruptors: Is the EU doing enough to protect its citizens' health?

Read more

WEB NEWS

Israelis taking bomb shelter selfies

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Pavlo Klimkin, Ukrainian Foreign Minister

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Raed Fahmi, former Iraqi Minister of Science and Technology

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Germany's World Cup title

Read more

FASHION

Paris, Haute Couture Fall/Winter 2014-2015

Read more

  • Boules and booze: Bastille Day à la New Yorkaise

    Read more

  • Shipwrecked Costa Concordia successfully refloated

    Read more

  • Alberto Contador out of Tour de France after crash

    Read more

  • In pictures: 2014 World Cup historic moments

    Read more

  • France commemorates WWI centenary on Bastille Day

    Read more

  • Paris’s Bastille Day fireworks ‘a homage to victims’ of WWI

    Read more

  • Germany defeat Argentina 1-0 to win fourth World Cup title

    Read more

  • Kremlin mulls 'retaliatory strikes' after death of Russian civilian

    Read more

  • Senegal honours the soldiers who fought for France in WWI

    Read more

  • Clashes erupt in Paris as thousands march to support Palestinians

    Read more

  • Thousands flee northern Gaza after Israeli warning

    Read more

  • Major differences remain as deadline looms in Iran nuclear talks

    Read more

  • Rival Libyan militias exchange heavy fire at Tripoli airport

    Read more

  • French military to extend Mali 'counterterrorism' operations into Sahel

    Read more

Bush rejected Israeli plea for Iran attack, New York Times reports

©

Latest update : 2009-01-11

US President George W. Bush last year rejected an Israeli request for permission to strike at Iran's main nuclear complex using US-made bunker-busting bombs, according to a New York Times report.

AFP - US President George W. Bush last year rejected a secret Israeli request for an air strike against the main Iranian nuclear complex using US bunker-busting bombs, The New York Times reported on its Web site late Saturday.
  
But citing unnamed senior US and foreign officials, the newspaper said Bush had authorized a new covert operation aimed at sabotaging Iran’s suspected effort to develop nuclear weapons.
  
The request was made last year by Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert, who wanted US bunker-busting bombs and permission to fly over Iraq to attack Iran’s major uranium enrichment complex at Natanz, the report said.
  
But top US administration officials led by Defense Secretary Robert Gates had convinced Bush that any overt attack on Iran would prove ineffective, lead to the expulsion of international inspectors and drive Iran’s nuclear program deeper underground, the paper said.
  
Bush and his aides also discussed the possibility that an airstrike could ignite a broad Middle East war in which US troops in Iraq would inevitably become involved, according to The Times.
  
However, Bush opted for more intensive covert operations actions aimed at Iran, the report said.
  
They include renewed US efforts to penetrate Iran’s nuclear supply chain abroad, undermine the country's electrical and computer systems as well as other networks on which Iran relies, The Times said.
  
The effort is aimed at delaying the day that Iran can produce weapons-grade fuel for a workable nuclear weapon, according to the report.
  
 

Date created : 2009-01-11

Comments

COMMENT(S)