Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

AFRICA NEWS

Search of Air Algerie crash site continues

Read more

WEB NEWS

NSA targets 'Tor' network users

Read more

WEB NEWS

Web users call for peace in Gaza

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

French government hopes to collect €1.8bn from foreign accounts

Read more

DEBATE

Gaza: A Truce At All Costs?

Read more

WEB NEWS

Teen slammed for taking smiling selfie at Auschwitz

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - July 25th, 2014

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Sarkozy, Hollande and the scooter wars

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Confusion online over Air Algérie flight

Read more

  • Video: Slaviansk mourns mass grave victims

    Read more

  • Video: Ethiopia turns to wine to boost image, economy

    Read more

  • France honours those lost on Air Algérie Flight AH5017

    Read more

  • UN Security Council calls for immediate Gaza ceasefire

    Read more

  • Nibali joins elite group with Tour de France win

    Read more

  • France calls on its nationals to leave Libya as violence escalates

    Read more

  • Boko Haram kidnap Cameroon minister's wife in deadly attack

    Read more

  • Muslims prepare for Eid al-Fitr festival

    Read more

  • ‘Irresponsible’ American dad tries to scale Mont Blanc with children

    Read more

  • Ukraine fighting prevents observers from accessing MH17 crash site

    Read more

  • In pictures: Crowds flock to enjoy the Tour de France show

    Read more

  • Netanyahu says Hamas 'violating its own ceasefire'

    Read more

  • Video: At the scene of the Air Algérie crash in Mali

    Read more

  • Costa Concordia arrives in port of Genoa to be scrapped

    Read more

  • In pictures: Youths clash with police at banned Gaza protest

    Read more

  • Russia lashes out at new EU sanctions over Ukraine

    Read more

  • Bodies of all Air Algérie crash victims to be brought to France

    Read more

  • Syrian army and ISIS both claim advances

    Read more

  • Briton kidnapped in Yemen freed after five months

    Read more

  • New round of Gaza ceasefire talks takes place in Paris

    Read more

Breakaway Tutsi rebel group declares ceasefire

Video by Arnaud ZAJTMAN

Latest update : 2009-01-16

A rebel Tutsi group that split last week from Laurent Nkunda's movement has declared a cessation of hostilities with DR Congo's government army. The announcement was made in the eastern city of Goma in front of Congo's interior minister.

REUTERS - Military commanders of the Congolese Tutsi rebel movement announced a cessation of hostilities on Friday with Democratic Republic of Congo's government army, a rebel military spokesman said.

 

The commanders from the Tutsi-dominated National Council for the Defence of the People (CNDP) made the announcement in the eastern city of Goma in the presence of the Congolese interior minister and Rwanda's top armed forces commander.

 

"We, members of the high command of the CNDP forces, in the name of the officers and the fighters, solemnly declare before God, the whole Congolese people, Africa and the world ... from this day, January 16, 2009 onwards, the cessation of hostilities between the CNDP and the FARDC (Congolese armed forces)," said the rebel spokesman, Col. Esaie Munyakazi.

 

The CNDP commanders said they were placing their forces at the disposal of the Congolese army high commmand "with a view to them being reintegrated into the national army".

 

They were led by General Bosco Ntaganda, the top CNDP military commander who last week broke with the Tutsi rebel movement's founder, General Laurent Nkunda. It was not immediately clear whether Nkunda supported the announcement of the cessation of hostilities made by these commanders.

 

Before this split, CNDP fighters routed the government army late last year in an offensive in Congo's eastern province of North Kivu that displaced a quarter of a million civilians and created a humanitarian emergency.

 

 

Date created : 2009-01-16

COMMENT(S)