More than 200,000 Palestinians are set to go back to school as United Nations-run schools opened across Gaza for the first time since the recent deadly Israeli assault on the Strip. The reopening follows last week’s ceasefire deal.
AFP - Around 200 UN-run schools in Gaza opened their doors Saturday for the first time since a ceasefire halted Israel's largest-ever assault on the Hamas-ruled territory.
Some 200,000 children attend schools run by the UN refugee agency, which operates 221 schools in the impoverished territory where more than 1,330 people, including 437 children, were killed.
Many of the schools had been used as shelters for some of the 100,000 people displaced during the conflict, and at least three were hit by Israeli fire, prompting a wave of international criticism.
In the deadliest bombing more than 40 people were killed when an Israeli shell struck a crowd of people sheltering in a UN school in Gaza's Jabaliya refugee camp on January 6.
Israel claimed it had been fired upon by militants near the building.
Christopher Gunness, a spokesman for the UN Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA), said 53 UN installations had been damaged or destroyed in the conflict, including more than 30 schools.
But he said the agency hoped to retore a "sense of normalcy" by reopening the schools, many of which have not been completely repaired.
"UNRWA's commitment to restoring a sense of normalcy for the next generation in Gaza is a test of our humanity and we are determined to rise to the challenge," Gunness told AFP.
Most of the 1.5 million residents of Gaza were already refugees dependent on international aid to survive.
Israel and Hamas have observed their own ceasefires since last Sunday and Israeli troops completed their pullout on Wednesday.
UN chief Ban Ki-moon has called for those responsible for bombing UN compounds and buildings to be held accountable and accused Israel of using "excessive force."
Date created : 2009-01-24