Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 01 August 2014 (part 2)

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Coverage of Gaza in the Israeli media

Read more

REPORTERS

1914-1918: The Depths of Hell

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 01 August 2014

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Exclusive: Israel's US ambassador speaks to FRANCE 24

Read more

#THE 51%

World War One: The war that changed women’s lives

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Ségolène Royal goes for green

Read more

THE OBSERVERS

A look back at some of the Observers' best stories

Read more

DEBATE

Argentina Defaults: Kirchner Cries Foul Over 'Vulture Funds' (part 2)

Read more

  • Israeli soldier feared captured, ceasefire 'over'

    Read more

  • Exclusive: Israel's US ambassador speaks to FRANCE 24

    Read more

  • Air France ground workers to strike on August 2

    Read more

  • Rogue general denies Islamist seizure of Benghazi

    Read more

  • Ugandan court strikes down anti-gay legislation

    Read more

  • 1914-1918: The Depths of Hell

    Read more

  • Regional summit to tackle deadly Ebola outbreak

    Read more

  • French hospital to open wine bar for terminally ill patients

    Read more

  • Video: Tipping is dying out in French café culture

    Read more

  • €2.5 million in cocaine ‘disappears’ from Paris police HQ

    Read more

  • Appeal court keeps French rogue trader Kerviel in jail

    Read more

  • Interactive: France’s new plan to counter jihadism in Africa

    Read more

  • Ukrainian army suffers losses in separatist attack

    Read more

  • Argentinian markets plummet following default

    Read more

  • French Jews speak of growing fear in Paris amid Gaza conflict

    Read more

France

Toxic fumes see 65 hospitalised at church concert

Latest update : 2009-01-30

Sixty-five people, including 16 children, were taken to hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning while attending a boys' choir concert at a church in Phalempin, in northern France.

AFP - Sixty-five people were hospitalised Monday for carbon monoxide poisoning after breathing toxic fumes at a church concert near the northern French city of Lille, officials said.
   
Among those hospitalised were 16 children including choir singers, a regional administration official said.
   
No one was in serious condition. Most of those hospitalised suffered from headaches and vomiting.
   
Emergency services were called to the scene when a couple members of the audience became ill, and after determining there were very elevated carbon monoxide levels in the air, evacuated the 250 people from the church in the town of Phalempin.
   
"Peope were immediately directed towards a reception room where they underwent medical exams on a case-by-case basis," said the chief of staff for the regional prefecture, Gisele Rossat-Mignod.
   
Some 20 paramedics provided people oxygen and examined them for symptoms of poisoning from the colourless and odourless yet highly toxic gas, which can also cause confusion, tiredness, and fainting.
   
Officials suspect the heating system released the gas into the poorly ventilated church, although they said the furnace had been inspected Friday.
   
"Looking back, I think if the two people hadn't become ill, then in a few more minutes some people could have had much more serious problems," said Thierry Lazaro, the deputy mayor of the town, who attended the concert.
   
Carbon monoxide poisoning, which blocks the absorption of oxygen in the blood, can lead to death in less than one hour.
   
Regional officials first said 24 people had been hospitalised.

Date created : 2009-01-27

COMMENT(S)