Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

DEBATE

Down to the wire: UK election poll shows main parties neck-and-neck

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

No matter who wins the UK election, economic challenges remain

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Top opposition figure arrested in Burundi

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

"Is the UK still located in Europe?"

Read more

DEBATE

Crossing a red line: French mayor slammed for profiling Muslim students

Read more

ENCORE!

Film show: 'A Thousand Times Goodnight', 'My Old Lady' and 'Titli'

Read more

FOCUS

UK election: Health system a key issue in Wales

Read more

FACE-OFF

Le Pen vs Le Pen: France's far-right family feud turns epic

Read more

MIDDLE EAST MATTERS

Saudi Arabia: Behind the royal family reshuffle

Read more

Africa

Rebels slaughtered 100 in DR Congo attack, says UN

Latest update : 2009-01-29

A gang of 13 rebels from the Ugandan Lord's Resistance Army killed more than 100 people in a January 16 attack in the Democratic Republic of Congo, the UN has reported.

Reuters - Ugandan Lord's Resistance Army rebels killed over 100 people in a Jan. 16 attack in Congo, taking the civilian death toll to over 900 since operations against them began last month, the United Nations said on Wednesday.

 

A spokesman for the U.N. peacekeeping mission in Congo said 40 rebels had been killed in the operations, which were launched by Congo, Uganda and Sudan in December after the LRA failed to sign peace deals ending one of Africa's longest wars.

 

The anti-LRA operations have so far not yet netted any senior LRA commanders, some of whom are wanted for war crimes by the International Criminal Court. But they have triggered a wave of reprisal attacks by groups of dispersed rebel fighters.

 

"At least 100 bodies were recovered by local self defence forces. The attack was reportedly carried out by 13 rebels," said Lieutenant-Colonel Jean-Paul Dietrich, military spokesman for the U.N. mission.

 

He said the attack took place at Tora, in a remote corner of Congo's northeastern Orientale province.

 

"At least 900 Congolese have been killed since the beginning of operations compared to around 40 LRA killed," he added.

 

 

Date created : 2009-01-28

COMMENT(S)