Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

Nigerian oppposition claims historic election win

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Facebook tracks you, even if you not a user

Read more

DEBATE

Iran deal: Deadline day for nuclear talks (part two)

Read more

DEBATE

Iran deal: Deadline day for nuclear talks (part one)

Read more

DOWN TO EARTH

Agriculture: When farms turn into factories

Read more

FOCUS

Strait of Hormuz: a smuggler's paradise

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Investigations against pro-Ouattara camp to begin mid-2015, says ICC chief prosecutor

Read more

ENCORE!

Asaf Avidan's Gold Shadow

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

UN Special Envoy to the Middle East: 'I leave the Gaza Strip in an even worse situation than before'

Read more

France's Sebastien Bourdais stays on at Toro Rosso

Latest update : 2009-02-06

Toro Rosso have decided to keep Sébastien Bourdais as their second driver for the coming season, putting an end to a long winter wait for Formula One's only French driver. A four-time US Champcar champion, Bourdais finished 17th last season.

AFP - Italian Formula One team Toro Rosso confirmed Friday that Frenchman Sebastien Bourdais will be their number two driver for the 2009 season alongside Swiss racer Sebastien Buemi.

The 29-year-old endured an anxious wait to know if he would be retained by the Italian stable as number two after a modest debut campaign behind the wheel of a Toro Rosso car last season.

"It was a very long winter but the wait is finally over," said the relieved driver from Le Mans.

"I am really excited at the idea of competing in my second season with the Toro Rosso team. I would like to thank Red Bull and Dietrich Mateschitz (team owners) for this opportunity to stay with a team that made so much progress last year."

Bourdais began his first season in 2008 in confident fashion by finishing seventh on his debut at the Australian GP for two points but failed to build on his promising start and finished the season 17th in the driver standings with just four points.

Despite solid progress during towards the end of the season and notably his qualifying position of fourth at Monza, he failed to shine in races.

The announcement by Toro Rosso means all 18 drivers have been revealed for the upcoming season which begins on March 29 at the Australian GP in Melbourne apart from the Honda team who are looking for a new buyer and remain in limbo.

Date created : 2009-02-06

COMMENT(S)