Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

FASHION

Fashion, what's happened in 2014

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

France: 2014 in review

Read more

#THE 51%

South Africa: Taking a stand against child marriage

Read more

DEBATE

The Future of the Book

Read more

DEBATE

The Future of the Book (part 2)

Read more

REPORTERS

France 24’s best documentaries of 2014

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

'We have to build a new Tunisia', says the president of the Tunisian Parliament

Read more

FACE-OFF

France on alert after attacks: a case of collective hysteria?

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

'Beijing needs to revaluate its policy in the Tibetan areas', says FM of the Tibetan government-in-exile

Read more

Asia-pacific

Police track arsonists as wildfires claim more lives

Latest update : 2009-02-11

Australian police launched the country's largest ever arson investigation as firefighters continue to struggle against wildfires that have devastated the south-eastern state of Victoria and left at least 181 dead.

AFP - Firefighters battled Tuesday to save Australian communities threatened by searing waves of wildfire that have already claimed 181 lives, a toll that is expected to rise.
  
As tales of the horror wrought by the infernos that have razed whole towns transfixed Australia, officials said the danger was far from over and the final death toll would pass 200.
  
"This was truly an inland tsunami," Russell Hildebrandt, a chaplain at the Healesville relief centre, told AFP.
  
"It's just come in, swept through everything in its path and killed hundreds of people, who were caught completely unawares."
  
Victoria state Premier John Brumby said more than 50 people were believed by the coroner to be "already deceased but not yet identified", and the final toll from Australia's deadliest bushfires would "exceed 200 deaths."
  
Exhausted firefighters, most of them volunteers who have had little rest since the firestorms flared in Victoria on Saturday, were fighting to halt the advance of the flames bearing down on rural towns and villages.
  
Healesville, about 50 kilometres (31 miles) northeast of Melbourne, was the latest community threatened by one of the 24 fires still burning, some of which are believed to have been deliberately lit.
  
Victoria's Country Fire Authority warned the town was in danger from "heavy ember attack," a phenomenon that survivors who have faced it liken to a fiery hailstorm of burning embers.
  
Further east in Gippsland, firefighters were trying to control a massive blaze stretching more than 100 kilometres.
  
"We've got about 135 kilometres of fire line and only a small proportion of that, about 12 kilometres, has been contained," Country Fire Authority incident controller Stephen Walls told reporters.
  
Investigators began the country's largest ever arson probe as Prime Minister Kevin Rudd accused the arsonists believed responsible for some of the fires of "murder on a grand scale".
  
"We are left speechless at the thought and the possibility that some of these fires may have been deliberately lit," Rudd told parliament.
  
"This is simply murder on a grand scale. Let us attend to this unfinished business of the nation and come to grips with this evil thing."
  
Police have cordoned off whole towns as crime scenes even as desperate survivors try to return to their homes to inspect the damage.
  
"Road by road, house by house, we are working our way through," Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Christine Nixon said.
  
"We believe the toll will rise. It's a very sad thing for all of us in our community."
  
In devastated Kinglake, Ross Buchanan risked his life to save his home -- only to find his 15-year-old son McKenzie and daughter Neeve, nine, had been killed as fire ripped through the rest of the town.
  
"I've lost two kids, nothing can bring them back," he told Sky News.
  
Annette Smit told how she had hidden under a house in Kinglake West to shelter from the ferocious firestorm after her own home had been destroyed.
  
"I knew people were dying around us, I knew.
  
"It rained (fire), it was like lava," she told the Herald Sun online in one of the many compelling stories of survival emerging as the nation's worst wildfire disaster unfolds.
  
The mounting number of bodies has forced authorities to set up a temporary morgue in Melbourne which has so far admitted 101 victims, the Victoria state coroner said.
  
US President Barack Obama telephoned Rudd to offer his condolences and offer US help in fighting the blazes, the White House said.
  
"The president offered his prayers to the people of Australia and his condolences to the victims," Obama spokesman Robert Gibbs said.
  
More than 30 US firefighters are flying to Australia to join reinforcements from fire departments around the country who are heading to Victoria, Sky News reported.
  
Australians have donated more than 30 million dollars (20 million US) to relief appeals and the Red Cross called for more money, saying some survivors had been left with only the clothes they stood in.
  
Rudd said the fires had left 500 people injured, nearly 1,000 homes destroyed, 365,000 hectares (902,000 acres) burnt and had affected 25 local government authorities.
  
More than 5,000 people have been left homeless, many seeking shelter in community halls, schools and churches.
  

   
   
 

Date created : 2009-02-10

COMMENT(S)