Part of the planning for the December attacks in Mumbai that killed more than 160 people was carried out in Pakistan, the country's top interior ministry official said for the first time. Six people have been arrested in connection with the attacks.
AFP - The Mumbai attacks that killed 165 people last November were partly planned in Pakistan, a top-level Islamabad official admitted for the first time Thursday.
"The incident happened in India and part of the conspiracy was hatched in Pakistan," interior ministry chief Rehman Malik told reporters.
Pakistan has lodged a "first information report" with police in Islamabad and six people have been arrrested in connection with the attacks following an investigation on the basis of information provided by India, Malik added.
He said the case had been registered with a special investigation unit in Islamabad.
It is the first time a senior official in Islamabad has admitted that any planning took place in Pakistan.
New Delhi blamed the attacks on the banned Pakistani-based militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba.
Date created : 2009-02-12