Coming up

Don't miss




How to Stop Ebola: Center for Disease Control Confirms First Case of Virus in US

Read more


I will support Hillary Clinton, tells France 24

Read more


Germany: Spread of radical Islam propaganda sparks concerns

Read more


Corrie Nielsen: Up and Coming Talent at Paris Fashion Week

Read more


French Senate election: A new blow for Hollande

Read more


Encore's Film Show: Julie Gayet, Denzel Washington, and cartoon madness

Read more


Turkey's strategy towards the Islamic State group

Read more


France defends deficit reduction delay in 2015 budget

Read more


'France is sinking!'

Read more

Wales punish England's indiscipline

Video by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2009-02-15

Reigning Six Nations champions Wales remained on course to retain their title after a 23-15 victory over England at the Millennium Stadium. England outscored Wales by two tries to one but they paid dearly for their indiscipline.

REUTERS - Wales remained on course to retain their Six Nations title after a 23-15 victory over England on Saturday but they had to work desperately hard for it in a game of high tension and fluctuating fortunes.


Wales built healthy leads in each half but England refused to buckle despite again having two players yellow carded.


There only were five points in it until Stephen Jones slotted his fifth penalty of the day nine minutes from time to finally swing the game the home side's way.


The score came as a huge relief to Wales, who had looked well worth their 5/1 ON favourites tag in a dominant first quarter.


The champions began full of pace and furious energy and, despite sturdy resistance from a fired-up England defence, were 9-0 up after 20 minutes via two Jones penalties and one for Leigh Halfpenny.


At that point England had given away seven penalties, to none by the hosts, and having lost Mike Tindall to another yellow card for killing the ball, things looked ominous.


However, while down to 14 they struck out of nowhere as Riki Flutey made ground with a jinking run through the middle. Andy Goode kicked on and the speedy Paul Sackey touched down.


The try lifted England and they enjoyed some bright possession that led to more points from a Goode drop goal.


Wales revved it up again through their backs but England, with recalled flanker Joe Worsley tackling like a Dervish, kept them at bay to reach halftime only 9-8 down.


If the visitors were feeling good about their comeback it took only a minute for things to swing back Wales's way.


A charge by Jamie Roberts forced England into a desperate and illegal defence of their line and Goode was sin binned, the second week running that England had received two yellow cards.


Jones slotted the subsequent penalty and moments later the Millennium Stadium was in uproar as Wales cut loose.


Fullback Lee Byrne made 30 metres and sent in winger Halfpenny to score in the corner as the lead was suddenly back to nine points and with thousands in the ground still taking their seats.


After another Jones penalty England brought on Toby Flood and he quickly combined well with the quick-stepping Flutey to send Delon Armitage through for his first international try as England refused to lie down.


They were desperately close to levelling too as Sackey was inches away from touching down a clever Harry Ellis kick.


The tension was cranked up for 10 minutes as both sides probed but when England infringed at the breakdown again Jones slotted from 40 metres to take the lead to two scores.


Flood had an immediate chance to hit back but missed his penalty shot and Wales saw out the remainder to make it two out of two following last week's success in Edinburgh.


Next up as they seek back-to-back grand slams is a trip to Paris on Feb. 27, while England visit Ireland the following day.


Date created : 2009-02-14