Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

THE INTERVIEW

'Looking for Lenin': The search for fallen Soviet statues in Ukraine

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

From footballer to inmate: Will OJ Simpson be released?

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Time to taper? ECB governing council meets in Frankfurt

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Macron and the military: Has power gone to his head?

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Miniskirts make headlines in France and Saudi Arabia (for different reasons)

Read more

THE DEBATE

'Let it fail': Trump's hands-off approach to governing

Read more

FOCUS

Video: More lone juvenile migrants arriving in Italy

Read more

MIDDLE EAST MATTERS

Why violence against women often goes unpunished in Turkey

Read more

ENCORE!

Film show: 'Dunkirk', 'Tom of Finland' and 'Peggy Guggenheim: Art Addict'

Read more

Africa

ICC set to decide on presidential arrest warrant

Text by FRANCE 24 (with wires)

Latest update : 2009-02-24

The International Criminal Court says it will announce on March 4 whether it will issue an international arrest warrant for Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir (pictured) for his alleged role in war crimes committed in Darfur.

The International Criminal Court (ICC) will announce next week whether it would seek the arrest of Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir for war crimes in Darfur, it said on Monday.
   
A pre-trial chamber of judges said it "would issue on Wednesday, March 4, its decision concerning the prosecution application" for a warrant for Bashir, the court said.

The leader of Darfur's strongest rebel group said in comments published Tuesday that his forces would refocus efforts to topple al-Bashir if the International Criminal Court issues a warrant for his arrest.
   
Speaking to The Times from Chad's capital N'Djamena, Justice and Equality Movement (JEM) leader Khalil Ibrahim said that "when this warrant comes it is, for us, the end of Bashir's legitimacy to be president of Sudan."
   
"We will work hard to bring him down ... If he doesn't cooperate with the ICC, the war will intensify."

 

ICC chief prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo asked the court last July for a warrant for Bashir for genocide, war crimes, and crimes against humanity allegedly committed in Sudan's war-torn western region.


The African Union said earlier this month it would lobby for a one-year suspension of the case, saying a trial at the ICC could threaten Sudan's peace process.
   
The 53-member organisation also said that African leaders appeared to be the sole targets of the international court.
   
If the warrant is granted, Bashir would become the first sitting head of state to be accused before the ICC.
   
Moreno-Ocampo has accused Bashir of having "personally instructed" his forces to annihilate three ethnic groups -- the Fur, Masalit and Zaghawa, engaged in a rebellion in Darfur.
   
Khartoum has denied all the allegations against Bashir, and has refused to cooperate with the ICC, which is based in The Hague.
   
The UN says up to 300,000 people have died since the conflict broke out in 2003. The Sudanese government puts the death toll at 10,000.

Date created : 2009-02-24

COMMENT(S)