Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

AFRICA NEWS

Search of Air Algerie crash site continues

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Sarkozy, Hollande and the scooter wars

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Confusion online over Air Algérie flight

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - July 25th, 2014 (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - July 25th, 2014

Read more

REPORTERS

Halal tourism on the rise

Read more

ENCORE!

Tunisia's Carthage International Festival turns 50

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

WWI Centenary: the battle for Verdun

Read more

THE BUSINESS INTERVIEW

When big companies want to do good

Read more

  • Limited 12-hour humanitarian truce takes effect in Gaza

    Read more

  • French PM calls for calm ahead of banned Gaza protest

    Read more

  • Video: 'Lack of security' at MH17 crash site, FRANCE 24 reports

    Read more

  • In pictures: Devastation, debris at Air Algérie crash site

    Read more

  • Kerry due in Paris for new round of Gaza ceasefire talks

    Read more

  • Washington Post reporter and his wife arrested in Iran

    Read more

  • French families grieve for Algerian plane crash victims

    Read more

  • Lithuania’s Navardauskas wins 19th stage of Tour de France

    Read more

  • LA Times wipes France off the map in air crash infographic

    Read more

  • Fans electrify the mood as Tour de France crosses the Pyrenees

    Read more

  • French lawyer files complaint against Israel at ICC

    Read more

  • Protest against Gaza offensive turns deadly in West Bank

    Read more

  • Halal tourism on the rise

    Read more

  • Ukraine names acting PM after Yatseniuk's shock resignation

    Read more

  • BNP to pay $80 million for defrauding Dept of Agriculture

    Read more

  • Deadly strike on UN shelter in Gaza Strip

    Read more

  • Pope meets Christian woman sentenced to death in Sudan

    Read more

Milan sees progress in Beckham loan extension

Video by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2009-03-07

Though negotiations with Los Angeles Galaxy are still not finalised, Adriano Galliani, AC Milan's vice president, is confident that David Beckham will remain with the Italian team until the end of the season.

AFP - AC Milan vice president Adriano Galliani denied on Friday that a deal had been agreed with Los Angeles Galaxy to sign David Beckham but said he was feeling 'optimistic'.
  
Earlier in the day a Milan press spokesman told AFP that no comment would be made from the club until an announcement is posted on Milan's official website.
  
But speaking outside a Football League meeting the Milan number two said a deal was close to being agreed.
  
"There's no news but I'm a little more optimistic because we're making progress and with with a little correction here and there to the documents things are going forwards between us and Galaxy," he said.
  
"It has to. It's not official yet but we're on the right path. There are no storms brewing."
  
Galliani more or less confirmed a deal would be done although he said he couldn't be sure when exactly.
  
"The decisive day could be today (Friday), tomorrow or Monday but the most important thing is that David is here and is playing in the Milan jersey," he said.
  
Earlier in the day English press reports claimed a deal had been struck to keep the former England captain at the San Siro until the end of the season.
  
Under a unique 'timeshare' agreement the England midfielder would then return to Galaxy from July to October before returning to Milan in November for the rest of next season.
  
Beckham's determination to stay at Milan is so great that he will allegedly fund part of the deal himself.
  
A spokesman for Beckham declined to comment.
  
The deal follows weeks of negotiations between the two clubs during which Milan baulked at the size of transfer fee demanded by Galaxy -- thought to be around 12 million euros.
  
Milan reportedly were only willing to pay three million dollars.
  
Beckham initially joined Milan on loan in January until this weekend and was due to head back to the United States on Monday, following Milan's home clash with Atalanta on Sunday.
  
However, the 33-year-old, who arranged the loan deal in order to keep active during the long Major League Soccer off season so he could remain in England manager Fabio Capello's World Cup plans, quickly made it clear he didn't want to go back to Los Angeles.
  
Milan too were keen to keep hold of the former Manchester United and Real Madrid star who immediately became a first-team fixture.

Date created : 2009-03-07

COMMENT(S)