Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Historic day for Nigeria and day of hope for Africa

Read more

DEBATE

Nigeria's Historic Election: The Return of Muhammadu Buhari (part 2)

Read more

DEBATE

Nigeria's Historic Election: The Return of Muhammadu Buhari (part 1)

Read more

FOCUS

The rise of Hindu far-right groups

Read more

REPORTERS

Video: San Cristobal, Venezuela's tinderbox

Read more

THE OBSERVERS

Rebuilding attacked churches in Niger, and illegal fishing in Iran

Read more

#THE 51%

The extraordinary tale of the Egyptian mother who lived as a man

Read more

ENCORE!

Film Show : 'Suite française', 'Shaun the sheep' and 'A perfect man'

Read more

FOCUS

Strait of Hormuz: a smuggler's paradise

Read more

Asia-pacific

Only surviving suspect tells court he is from Pakistan

Video by Sylvain LEPETIT

Latest update : 2009-03-23

Mohammed Ajmal Kasab, the only surviving suspect from the three-day Mumbai attacks last November that killed 166 people, confirmed in court on Monday that he hailed from Pakistan. He has applied for legal assistance.

REUTERS - The man accused of being the lone surviving gunman in last year’s Mumbai attacks told an Indian court on Monday that he was from Pakistan and wanted legal assistance, a senior police officer said.

In February, police formally charged Mohammed Ajmal Kasab with “waging war” against India, and his trial began on Monday via video link in Mumbai, where armed gunmen killed 166 people in a three-day rampage last November.

“He has confessed that he is from Pakistan and has also asked the court for legal assistance,” Rakesh Maria, the chief Indian investigator in the case, told Reuters by telephone.

“The hearing has concluded and the next date of the trial will be known shortly,” Maria said.

The attacks on India’s financial hub sparked renewed tensions between nuclear-armed rivals India and Pakistan, and Islamabad initially denied Kasab was a national before accepting that he was.

India has charged 38 people, including Kasab, in connection with the case.

The charge sheet, which runs to some 11,000 pages, contains accounts of more than 2,200 witnesses as well as other evidence provided by the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), which helped Indian police with the probe.

Those charged as key planners of the attacks included Hafiz Mohammad Saeed, founder of the militant Islamist Lashkar-e-Taiba group India says was behind the attacks, and other senior Lashkar members Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi and Zarar Shah.
 

Date created : 2009-03-22

COMMENT(S)