Ivory Coast prosecutors have opened an inquiry into a stampede that killed 19 football fans and injured over 130 at the capital's main stadium over the weekend.
AFP - Prosecutors in the Ivory Coast opened an inquiry Tuesday into the stadium stampede that killed 19 football fans and injured more than 130 at a weekend World Cup qualifying match.
President Laurent Gbagbo said he had asked Abidjan prosecutor Raymound Tchimou "to open an immediate inquiry in order to determine the causes of this disaster and find those responsible".
Tchimou confirmed to AFP that an inquiry had been opened.
"The causes of this tragedy deserve to be known to avoid such an event ever happening again," Gbagbo, who attended Sunday's match between the Ivory Coast and Malawi, said in a statement.
Gbagbo declared three days of national mourning for the victims from Wednesday.
Prime Minister Guillaume Soro was due to chair an emergency cabinet meeting on the disaster Tuesday, following claims that the capacity crowd at the Houphouet-Boigny stadium was swelled by ticketless fans who had bribed their way past security.
Date created : 2009-03-31