Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

BUSINESS DAILY

Dublin courts post-Brexit business

Read more

FOCUS

Afghanistan's national unity government faces political deadlock

Read more

REPORTERS

World War I: When northern France was on German time

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

Mixed reactions to historic Colombia peace deal

Read more

ENCORE!

The adventures of Hergé: Tintin's creator in the limelight

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Carmakers rev up for Paris Motor Show

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Paris Motor Show gets into gear

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Between darkness and fear: Bombs rain down in Aleppo

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Shimon Peres: From Hawk to Dove

Read more

Italian prosecutor calls for two-year ban against Valverde

Latest update : 2009-04-02

The anti-doping prosecutor of Italy's National Olympic Committee (Coni) has called for a two-year ban against Spain's Alejandro Valverde as part of continuing investigations into the Puerto doping scandal.

REUTERS - Spanish rider Alejandro Valverde has been charged with being involved in Spain's Operacion Puerto doping scandal, the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI) said in a statement on Wednesday.

CONI's anti-doping prosecutor has called for a two-year ban but any suspension agreed by an Italian anti-doping tribunal is likely to only take effect inside Italy.

CONI has alleged that blood samples Valverde gave at a doping control when last year's Tour de France entered Italy for a stage match DNA from code-named bags of blood discovered in the Spanish Puerto investigation, which was launched in 2006.

Valverde told an Italian anti-doping hearing in February that he was innocent of any wrongdoing but CONI has since been building its case and has now decided to charge the Spaniard, who topped the world rankings last season.

Valverde competed in the 2007 world championships despite the sport's governing body, the International Cycling Union (UCI), trying to block his participation because he had been linked to Puerto.

Date created : 2009-04-01

COMMENT(S)