Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

AFRICA NEWS

Search of Air Algerie crash site continues

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Sarkozy, Hollande and the scooter wars

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Confusion online over Air Algérie flight

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - July 25th, 2014 (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - July 25th, 2014

Read more

REPORTERS

Halal tourism on the rise

Read more

ENCORE!

Tunisia's Carthage International Festival turns 50

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

WWI Centenary: the battle for Verdun

Read more

THE BUSINESS INTERVIEW

When big companies want to do good

Read more

  • In pictures: Debris and devastation at Air Algérie Flight AH5017 crash scene

    Read more

  • Kerry heads to Paris for new round of Gaza peace talks

    Read more

  • ‘No survivors’ from Algerian plane crash, says Hollande

    Read more

  • Paris bans new Gaza protest scheduled for Saturday

    Read more

  • Tour de France fans bring the ambience to the Pyrenees

    Read more

  • French families grieve for Algerian plane crash victims

    Read more

  • Protest against Gaza offensive turns deadly in West Bank

    Read more

  • Halal tourism on the rise

    Read more

  • LA Times wipes France off the map in air crash infographic

    Read more

  • Lithuania’s Navardauskas wins 19th stage of Tour de France

    Read more

  • French lawyer files complaint against Israel at ICC

    Read more

  • Ukraine names acting PM after Yatseniuk's shock resignation

    Read more

  • BNP to pay $80 million for defrauding Dept of Agriculture

    Read more

  • Deadly strike on UN shelter in Gaza Strip

    Read more

  • Pope meets Christian woman sentenced to death in Sudan

    Read more

Italian prosecutor calls for two-year ban against Valverde

Latest update : 2009-04-02

The anti-doping prosecutor of Italy's National Olympic Committee (Coni) has called for a two-year ban against Spain's Alejandro Valverde as part of continuing investigations into the Puerto doping scandal.

REUTERS - Spanish rider Alejandro Valverde has been charged with being involved in Spain's Operacion Puerto doping scandal, the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI) said in a statement on Wednesday.

CONI's anti-doping prosecutor has called for a two-year ban but any suspension agreed by an Italian anti-doping tribunal is likely to only take effect inside Italy.

CONI has alleged that blood samples Valverde gave at a doping control when last year's Tour de France entered Italy for a stage match DNA from code-named bags of blood discovered in the Spanish Puerto investigation, which was launched in 2006.

Valverde told an Italian anti-doping hearing in February that he was innocent of any wrongdoing but CONI has since been building its case and has now decided to charge the Spaniard, who topped the world rankings last season.

Valverde competed in the 2007 world championships despite the sport's governing body, the International Cycling Union (UCI), trying to block his participation because he had been linked to Puerto.

Date created : 2009-04-01

COMMENT(S)