Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Hollande depicted as Hitler

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Boko Haram crisis: Militants forced from north eastern Nigerian town

Read more

REPORTERS

Syria: Wresting control of Kobani from IS group

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

A who's who of the 'Bettencourt trial'

Read more

FOCUS

Golan Heights on edge...

Read more

THE BUSINESS INTERVIEW

Eugene Kaspersky: Cyber attacks on critical infrastructure 'just a question of time'

Read more

#THE 51%

Equality in the workplace: Bridging the gender pay gap

Read more

ENCORE!

The culture stars trying to save the world

Read more

#TECH 24

Technology helping visually impaired people

Read more

Asia-pacific

Pyongyang vows 'strong steps' if censured by UN

Latest update : 2009-04-08

A North Korean diplomat has warned that Pyongyang would react strongly to any action from the UN Security Council over its long-range rocket launch, saying any censure would "infringe upon the sovereignty of our country".

AFP - A North Korean diplomat warned on Tuesday Pyongyang would react strongly to any censure by the UN Security Council of its long-range rocket launch.
   
Pak Tok Hun, North Korea's deputy UN ambassador, told reporters that if the 15-member council "takes any kind of steps whatever, we will consider this infringes upon the sovereignty of our country. The next option will be ours."
   
He declared Pyongyang would take "necessary and strong steps" following any censure motion.
   
"Every country has the inalienable right to use outer space peacefully," Pak insisted, pointing out that many countries had already launched satellites into space several hundred times.
   
He said that if it was all right for those countries to launch satellites, "but we are not allowed to do that, that's not fair."
   
Pak insisted that the three-stage Taepodong-2 rocket launched Sunday carried a satellite, not a missile.
   
"This is a satellite. Everyone can distinguish (between) a satellite and a missile," he added.
   
The United States and its allies say the satellite never made it into space and that Sunday's launch was really a failed ballistic missile test.
   
They argued that the launch violated Security Council resolution 1718, adopted in 2006, which prohibits missile-related activities by the Stalinist state.
   
On Tuesday, as North Korea released film footage of the launch, China, the North's closest ally, pointedly refused to condemn the act, saying Pyongyang had the right to the peaceful use of space.
   
"We hope relevant parties can maintain restraint and stay calm to safeguard overall peace and stability," foreign ministry spokeswoman Jiang Yu said.

Date created : 2009-04-08

COMMENT(S)