Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

AFRICA NEWS

Air Algerie investigation continues

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Dozens of youths trampled to death on Conakry beach

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Ebola death toll tops 700

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

UNRWA official breaks down over Gaza deaths

Read more

DEBATE

Argentina Defaults - Kirchner Cries Foul Over 'Vulture Funds' (part 2)

Read more

DEBATE

Argentina Defaults - Kirchner Cries Foul Over 'Vulture Funds'

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Renault's women drivers ad deemed sexist

Read more

FOCUS

Constitution prohibits Aung San Suu Kyi to run for president

Read more

THE BUSINESS INTERVIEW

War and Markets, with Steen Jakobsen, Chief Economist at Saxo Bank

Read more

  • Kerry, Ban announce 72-hour humanitarian ceasefire in Gaza

    Read more

  • 24 killed¸ 271 injured in South Taiwan gas blast

    Read more

  • Argentinian markets plummet following default

    Read more

  • Interactive: France’s new plan to counter jihadism in Africa

    Read more

  • French Jews speak of growing fear in Paris amid Gaza conflict

    Read more

  • Video: Inside Hamas ‘terror’ tunnels in Gaza

    Read more

  • Sierra Leone declares state of emergency over spread of Ebola

    Read more

  • Investigators reach MH17 site amid 24-hour ceasefire

    Read more

  • France remembers murdered socialist hero Jean Jaurès

    Read more

  • Air France ground workers to strike on August 2

    Read more

  • Scores feared dead in India landslide

    Read more

  • Russia ordered to pay further €1.9 billion to Yukos shareholders

    Read more

  • Iraq's Christians: Nowhere to Run?

    Read more

  • Russia defiant as US, EU unveil 'phase three' sanctions

    Read more

  • US House votes to sue Obama for over-reaching his powers

    Read more

Middle east

Egypt to keep accused Hezbollah plotters in custody

Video by Luke BROWN

Latest update : 2009-04-10

Egypt's public prosecutor ordered on Thursday that 49 people held for plotting attacks on behalf of Lebanese Shi'ite group Hezbollah be kept in custody for a further 15 days.

AFP - Egypt's public prosecutor ordered on Thursday that 49 people held for plotting attacks on behalf of Lebanese Shi'ite group Hezbollah be kept in custody for a further 15 days, a judicial source said.
  
"The public prosecutor decided to detain the members of the group affiliated with Hezbollah for 15 days for questioning on suspicion of membership in a clandestine organisation calling for rebellion" against the country's leadership, the source said.
  
On Wednesday, the prosecutor said in a statement that an investigation determined the men had been commissioned by Hezbollah Secretary General Hassan Nasrallah to conduct attacks in Egypt.
  
It was not immediately clear when the arrests were made. The detention may be renewed every 15 days for six months, when the prosecution must either charge them or release them.
  
The suspects are also accused of espionage, forging official documents and preparing explosives.
  
Hezbollah has not commented on the allegations.
  
Montassar el-Zayat, a lawyer for some of the defendants, said relatives had asked him to represent them but that he had not been allowed to meet them or attend interrogations.
  
Zayat accused security of bringing politically motivated charges against the suspects.
  
"My impression is that it is a fabricated case created by Egyptian security in the context of bad relations between Hezbollah and Egypt. It is a pressure card," he said.
  
He said Lebanese and Palestinians were among those arrested.
  
Hezbollah, a Shi'ite group that is backed by Egypt's regional rivals Iran and Syria, is a vocal supporter of Hamas, the Islamist rulers of the Gaza Strip and has lashed out at Egypt for closing its crossing with the Palestinian enclave.

Date created : 2009-04-10

COMMENT(S)