Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

Mashujaa day: Kenyatta and Odinga call for peace before election rerun

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Kurdish referendum a ‘colossal mistake’, says son of late president Talabani

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

The new 30s club: NZ's Jacinda Ardern joins list of maverick leaders

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Raqqa, Kirkuk, Xi Jinping

Read more

REPORTERS

The Dictator's Games: A rare look inside Turkmenistan

Read more

#TECH 24

Teaching maths with holograms

Read more

DOWN TO EARTH

Is China exporting its pollution?

Read more

#THE 51%

Are female empowerment adverts actually good for the cause?

Read more

FOCUS

The mixed legacy of 'Abenomics' in Japan

Read more

Asia-pacific

Gov't announces 48-hour halt in fighting

Latest update : 2009-04-12

Sri Lanka's gov't announced a two-day ceasefire, starting on Monday, to allow thousands of civilians to move out of a no-fire zone where they're being held by the separatist Tamil Tigers. The military claims to be close to ousting the rebels.

AFP- Sri Lanka's president on Sunday ordered government troops to halt their offensive against cornered Tamil rebels over the two-day Sinhala and Tamil New Year that starts on Monday.

   
Mahinda Rajapakse's office said in a statement that the move would allow thousands of Tamil civilians trapped in the fighting to celebrate the New Year.
   
"With this objective in view, His Excellency has directed the armed forces of the state to restrict their operations during the New Year to those of a defensive nature," the statement said.
   
It reiterated a call to the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) to lay down arms and surrender to security forces who have pushed the guerrillas into a narrow strip of coastal jungle in the island's northeast.
   
"In the true spirit of the season, it is timely for the LTTE to acknowledge its military defeat," the statement said. "The LTTE must also renounce terrorism and violence permanently."
   
There was no immediate reaction from the Tigers, who reject charges that they are holding tens of thousands of Tamil civilians as a human shield.
   
"The President is deeply conscious of the need to give the civilian population entrapped as hostages by the ruthless actions of the LTTE the opportunity to celebrate these festivities," the statement said.
   
The brief ceasefire is also aimed at allowing more civilians to escape from the remaining rebel-held territory and seek shelter in a government-controlled area, officials added.
   
Rajapakse has insisted that the troops would push on until they have secured the complete surrender of the Tigers, whose decades-long armed campaign for an independent Tamil homeland appears almost over.
   
Sri Lanka's military stepped up attacks against the Tigers after withdrawing from a Norwegian-arranged truce in January last year.
   
The guerrillas, who at the height of their power controlled about a third of the country, have now been confined to an area less than 20 square kilometres (eight square miles), according to the military.

Date created : 2009-04-12

COMMENT(S)