Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

WEB NEWS

Trash collection goes high tech

Read more

WEB NEWS

Web users react to escalating violence in Gaza

Read more

FASHION

Paris, Haute Couture Fall/Winter 2014-2015.

Read more

REPORTERS

Exclusive: an unlikely victim of the 'War on Terror'

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

2014-07-11 21:47 AFRICA NEWS

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Finally, a good use for new app "Yo"

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 11 July 2014 (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 11 July 2014

Read more

#THE 51%

Sweden: A Feminist's Paradise?

Read more

  • Major differences remain as deadline looms in Iran nuclear talks

    Read more

  • Germany vs Argentina - history and genius clash in World Cup final

    Read more

  • Israeli navy attacks Hamas base as tanks line up along Gaza border

    Read more

  • Germany’s Tony Martin wins ninth stage of Tour de France

    Read more

  • French military to extend Mali 'counterterrorism' operations into Sahel

    Read more

  • Boko Haram claims Nigeria attacks and supports Iraqi militants

    Read more

  • Paris’s Bastille Day fireworks ‘an homage to victims’ of WWI

    Read more

  • French court lifts mayor’s ban on Muslim hijab at beach

    Read more

  • Shells land in Russia as eastern Ukrainians flee fighting

    Read more

  • Rival Libyan militias exchange heavy fire at Tripoli airport

    Read more

  • Holland beat hosts Brazil 3-0 to finish third in World Cup

    Read more

  • Iraqi parliament fails to agree on new leadership

    Read more

  • Afghan presidential candidates agree to full vote audit, Kerry says

    Read more

  • Last of the Ramones, Tommy Ramone, dies aged 62

    Read more

  • Video: Outrage in wake of deadly Casablanca buildings collapse

    Read more

Asia-pacific

UN Security Council's draft condemns Pyongyang's launch

©

Video by Claire PRYDE

Latest update : 2009-04-12

The five permanent Security Council members and Japan agreed on Saturday on a draft statement condemning North Korea's missile launch last week. Pyongyang says it launched a communication satellite and not a long-range missile.

REUTERS - A draft U.N. Security Council statement “condemns” North Korea’s long-range rocket launch and says it contravened a previous council resolution banning ballistic missile and nuclear tests by Pyongyang.

The draft statement, which the five permanent members of the Security Council and Japan agreed and circulated to the other nine council members on Saturday, also called on the U.N. sanctions committee to take steps to enforce existing sanctions against North Korea.

“The Security Council condemns the 5 April 2009 launch by the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK), which is in contravention of Security Council resolution 1718,” the U.S.-drafted statement said.

Resolution 1718, passed shortly after Pyongyang’s October 2006 nuclear test, forbids North Korea from launching ballistic missiles or carrying out further nuclear tests.

“The Security Council demands that the DPRK not conduct any further launch,” it said.

The full 15-member Security Council met behind closed doors to discuss the text at around 2:30 p.m. EDT (1830 GMT). They were expected to vote on the statement on Monday afternoon, Mexican Ambassador Claude Heller, the council’s current president, told reporters after the council meeting.

With agreement on the statement reached by the United States, China, Japan, Britain, France and Russia, its adoption on Monday by the full council was virtually assured, council diplomats said.

“We think this text sends a clear message,” U.S. Ambassador Susan Rice told reporters.

The U.N. Sanctions Committee on North Korea has not met for two years and has not designated any North Korean companies to be added to the U.N. blacklist, diplomats say. As a result, the sanctions have not been enforced, they say.

Two-hour meeting

The statement calls for the committee to “undertake its tasks to this effect” and designate “entities and goods” to face sanctions. It adds that if the committee failed to do so by the end of the month, the council will make its own list.

The deal on the final text of a so-called presidential statement was clinched at a two-hour meeting on Saturday that ended a weeklong deadlock on a Security Council response to North Korea’s rocket launch last Sunday.

Presidential statements are formal statements of council positions read out by the president of the Security Council.  They are generally considered to be weaker than resolutions.

The agreement, diplomats said, came after Japan agreed to back the U.S.-drafted text.

The United States, Japan and South Korea say North Korea launched a long-range ballistic missile, not a satellite, in violation of Security Council resolution 1718 banning the firing of such missiles.

Although the statement does not explicitly declare Pyongyang in “violation” of 1718, diplomats said the finding that it contravened the resolution, a compromise that was acceptable to Beijing, has the same legal meaning.

“It is a text which sends out, as we intended, a clear message to North Korea expressing our disagreement with what happened,” French Ambassador Jean-Maurice Ripert said.

Japan had been pushing for a council resolution that would declare Pyongyang in violation of resolution 1718 but Russia and China, which are permanent veto-wielding council members, opposed this. They were not convinced the rocket launch, which North Korea says put a satellite into orbit, was a violation.
 

Date created : 2009-04-12

Comments

COMMENT(S)