Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

FASHION

Paris, Haute Couture Fall/Winter 2014-2015.

Read more

REPORTERS

Exclusive: an unlikely victim of the 'War on Terror'

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

2014-07-11 21:47 AFRICA NEWS

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Finally, a good use for new app "Yo"

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 11 July 2014 (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 11 July 2014

Read more

#THE 51%

Sweden: A Feminist's Paradise?

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Politics: parties under pressure

Read more

FOCUS

In Burma, the rise of radical Buddhism

Read more

  • Boko Haram claims Nigeria attacks and supports Iraqi militants

    Read more

  • Israeli navy attacks Hamas base as tanks line up along Gaza border

    Read more

  • French court lifts mayor’s ban on Muslim hijab at beach

    Read more

  • Shells land in Russia as eastern Ukrainians flee fighting

    Read more

  • Rival Libyan militias exchange heavy fire at Tripoli airport

    Read more

  • Holland beat hosts Brazil 3-0 to finish third in World Cup

    Read more

  • Germany vs Argentina - history and genius clash in World Cup final

    Read more

  • Iraqi parliament fails to agree on new leadership

    Read more

  • Afghan presidential candidates agree to full vote audit, Kerry says

    Read more

  • France’s Kadri wins eighth stage at Tour de France

    Read more

  • Last of the Ramones, Tommy Ramone, dies aged 62

    Read more

  • Video: Outrage in wake of deadly Casablanca buildings collapse

    Read more

  • Putin revives old Cuban flame and eyes Latin American minerals

    Read more

  • Amazon snubs French free delivery ban with one-cent charge

    Read more

Simon and Monfils sent crashing out of Monte Carlo

©

Latest update : 2009-04-15

France's Gilles Simon and compatriot Gael Monfils were defeated in their opening match at the Monte Carlo Masters. Monfils lost 6-3 6-1 to Serb Janko Tipsarevic as sixth seed Simon lost 7-5 6-1 to Germany's Andreas Beck.

AFP - French hopes took a huge hit on Tuesday as sixth seed Gilles Simon and aching Gael Monfils went down to defeat in a horror start for the nation at the Monte Carlo Masters.

After little more than two days of play, France has suffered four losses, with Simon exiting his opening match in the second round 7-5, 6-1 against unfancied Andreas Beck.

The 89th-ranked German qualifier was playing on the ATP level for the first time since the Australian Open in January, where he went out in the second round.

Joining last year's breakthrough player at the exits was ninth-seed Monfils, whose first-round start ended 6-3, 6-1 in favour of Serb Janko Tipsarevic.

Monfils lost an early 3-1 lead as he played his debut clay date with his fragile knees heavily strapped.

"I needed to get used to them," said the 22-year-old who has trimmed his trademark dreadlocks.

"There's not much to say about the match, I'm just trying to get used to clay court conditions. I need to work more with (coach) Roger (Rasheed) and then confidence will come back.

"The strappings keep my knees very tight. I have pain when I take them off. In fact, my knees hurt when I climb stairs. And on the left knee, I have a big bump," said Monfils of his precarious physical condition.

Against Beck, Simon could do little, even as the nervous German double-faulted seven times on another sunny day on the French Riveria.

The French seed lost serve six times in the 100-minute contest to drop his season record to 14-10 with a 2-4 mark in the principality.

Monaco's wild card Jean-Rene Lisnard made up for at least some of the damage as the French-born number 263 advanced over Belgian Christophe Rochus 6-2, 6-2.

Andy Murray was making his start against Romanian Victor Hanescu while Roger Federer was scheduled to appear in public for the first time after his weekend marriage as the three-time finalist prepares for his Wednesday opener against Italian Andreas Seppi.

 

Date created : 2009-04-14

Comments

COMMENT(S)