Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

THE INTERVIEW

UN rights chief says Burma should allow in investigators

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

'I asked Macron to invest $300m in girls' education', Malala tells FRANCE 24

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

A French fortune: Lilian Bettencourt's name was synonymous with 'scandal'

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Catalan referendum debacle

Read more

THE DEBATE

Confiscated vote? Escalation over banned Catalonia referendum

Read more

PEOPLE & PROFIT

Brexit and the city: Paris, Frankfurt, Dublin vying for new business

Read more

FRENCH CONNECTIONS

Is the French Senate a retirement club for old politicians?

Read more

FOCUS

Rohingya crisis: Monks with an ultranationalist agenda

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

Mexico hit by another deadly earthquake

Read more

Asia-pacific

Mumbai attacks suspect goes on trial

Video by Sophie DAVIDSON

Latest update : 2009-04-15

The trial of the only suspect captured alive after the November 2008 Mumbai attacks begins Wednesday. Mohammed Ajmal Amir Iman will be charged with murder, attempted murder and kidnapping for attacks in which more than 160 were killed.

AFP - The trial of the only Islamist militant suspect captured by police during the Mumbai attacks begins on Wednesday under heavy security in a specially reinforced courtroom.
   
Mohammed Ajmal Amir Iman, also known as Kasab, has not been seen in public since his arrest on November 26 last year, soon after 10 gunmen began an assault that left more than 160 people dead and over 300 others injured.
   
The 21-year-old Pakistani national, said to belong to the banned Pakistan-based Islamist group Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), faces a string of charges including "waging war" on India, murder, attempted murder and kidnapping.
   
He faces the death penalty if convicted.
   
The courtroom, last used to try suspects over the deadly 1993 bomb blasts in the city, has been reinforced, while a bomb-proof tunnel has reportedly been built from Iman's cell after he received death threats.
   
Traffic will be banned from around the prison for the duration of the trial, which is estimated to last up to six months and may hear testimony from as many as 2,000 witnesses.
   
The defendant, the nine dead gunmen and 35 other LeT "terrorists" wanted over the attacks carried out a "heinous criminal conspiracy" against the city and people of Mumbai and India, according to the chargesheet.
   
"This was with the express intention to destabilise India, wage war against the country, terrorise its citizens, create financial loss and issue a warning to other countries," it added.
   
Two other men are also on trial. Indian nationals Fahim Ansari, 35, and Sabauddin Ahmed, 24, are accused of providing the group with logistical support before the attacks.
   
Prosecutors say they have evidence that "undoubtedly and conclusively" links the attacks to India's arch-rival Pakistan, including mobile and satellite phone communication between the gunmen and their LeT "handlers."
   
Iman's DNA and fingerprints were found on items retrieved from the hijacked Indian fishing trawler the gunmen used to get to the Mumbai coast, it is alleged.
   
There is CCTV and other footage of him at Mumbai's main railway station, where more than 50 people died after two gunmen opened fire with AK-47 assault rifles and threw grenades.
   
Thirty eyewitnesses also picked him out in identification parades, it added.
   
The trial is taking place at Mumbai's Arthur Road jail before a single judge without a jury because of security fears. All pre-trial hearings have been held either behind closed doors or via video link.
   
Iman's state-appointed lawyer, Anjali Waghmare, was denounced for taking on the case and attacked by irate Hindu radicals.
   
She has since been given the highest level of police protection.

Date created : 2009-04-15

COMMENT(S)