Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

WEB NEWS

Concerns grow as hobby drone use increases

Read more

WEB NEWS

Buffalo residents share stunning images of the snowstorm

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Senegalese photographer's flashbacks to Africans throughout history

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Hollande photographed with Julie Gayet on Elysée Palace balcony

Read more

REVISITED

Is Beirut still haunted by ghosts of the civil war?

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Band Aid 30 - Hit or Miss? Bob Geldof in Hot Water over Ebola Single

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Deal or No Deal with Iran? Home Stretch to Reach Historic Agreement

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Football scandals: The ugly side of the beautiful game

Read more

#THE 51%

Ending violence against women: The dangers of trial by Twitter

Read more

Africa

UN envoy Fowler and three other hostages freed

Latest update : 2009-04-22

Two Canadian diplomats, including the UN envoy to Niger, Robert Fowler (photo), have been released along with two of the four European tourists held by al Qaeda's north African wing. Fowler and his aide had been missing since last December.

Reuters - Two Canadian diplomats and two European tourists held hostage by al Qaeda's north African wing in the Sahara desert have been released, a spokesman for Mali's president said on Wednesday.
 
"We confirm the release of four hostages," Seydou Cissouma, a spokesman for Mali's president, told Reuters. He said they were two Canadian diplomats and two female tourists.
 
Canadian Robert Fowler, a United Nations envoy to Niger, disappeared with his aide last December while four tourists --two Swiss, a German and a Briton -- were kidnapped on the Mali-Niger border in January.
 
Earlier this month, a Malian security source said a team of mediators was negotiating the release of the European tourists.
 
Sources at the United Nations confirmed Fowler and his assistant Louis Guay were free but they said they were awaiting further details.
 
The Canadian government has not yet confirmed the release. "We are aware of these media reports and have no comment at this time," said a Canadian foreign affairs spokeswoman.
 
Al Qaeda's north African wing had said it was holding the four tourists, who were taken from Mali into neighbouring Saharan state Niger, as well as the two Canadians.
 
The group had demanded 20 of its members be freed from detention in Mali and other countries as a condition for releasing the hostages.
 
Malian officials initially blamed Tuareg rebels active in the Sahara for the January abduction. Military sources in the West African country say al Qaeda hires the nomadic rebels and other armed groups to carry out kidnappings.
 
The January capture was the worst such incident in Mali since Islamist rebels abducted 32 European tourists in 2003.

Date created : 2009-04-22

COMMENT(S)