Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

A thin line between fact-checking and propaganda in Gaza social media coverage

Read more

DEBATE

Gaza: How to Stop the Spiral? Israel Readies For Ground Offensive (part 2)

Read more

DEBATE

Gaza: How to Stop the Spiral? Israel Readies For Ground Offensive

Read more

FOCUS

Ireland's missing babies casting light on a dark history...

Read more

WEB NEWS

World Cup 2014: Germany-Brazil inspires the Web

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Boutros-Ghali: 'I wanted to reform the UN'

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

57 000 little problems

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

The Sarkozy 'threat'

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Budget challenge for India's new government

Read more

  • US prepared to negotiate Gaza ceasefire, Obama says

    Read more

  • Manhunt as FIFA partner flees Rio hotel to avoid arrest

    Read more

  • French companies will have to accept anonymous CVs

    Read more

  • Ukrainian forces close in on Donetsk

    Read more

  • Germany asks US intelligence station chief to leave country

    Read more

  • Hamas rockets reaching deeper into Israel

    Read more

  • UN chief Ban Ki-moon appoints new Syria mediator

    Read more

  • Video: Muslims in China confront obstacles to Ramadan fasting

    Read more

  • Tour de France passes WWI Chemin des Dames battlefield

    Read more

  • Senegalese man awarded French visa in gay marriage debate

    Read more

  • Israel steps up airstrikes as diplomacy gets under way

    Read more

  • Argentina beat Netherlands on penalties to reach World Cup final

    Read more

  • Foiled French jihadist ‘targeted Louvre and Eiffel Tower’

    Read more

  • Obama in Texas to urge congressional action on child migrant crisis

    Read more

  • Iraq’s heritage 'in danger' from ISIS militants

    Read more

Middle east

At least 73 killed in two separate suicide blasts

©

Video by Yuka ROYER , Cédric MOLLE LAURENCON

Latest update : 2009-04-24

At least 70 people were killed in two separate suicide bomb attacks in Iraq as a security spokesman told Agence France-Presse that the head of al Qaeda in Iraq, Abu Omar Al-Baghdadi, had been arrested in Baghdad.

AFP - The Iraqi military announced the capture on Thursday of the man said to be the head of Al-Qaeda in Iraq, as at least 73 people were killed in bombings on the deadliest day in Iraq in 14 months.
   
"Abu Omar al-Baghdadi was arrested today in Baghdad," the capital's security spokesman Major General Qassim Atta told AFP. "It was Iraqi forces who arrested him based on an intelligence tipoff from someone."
   
Atta added that Baghdadi -- who has been reported captured or killed several times in the past -- will be shown on television after being questioned, without specifying when.
   
Baghdadi is said to be the leader of the Islamic State of Iraq, a self-styled umbrella organisation for Al-Qaeda-affiliated insurgent groups fighting US and Iraqi forces that has pledged loyalty to Osama bin Laden.
   
US Defence Department spokesman Bryan Whitman said that while the Pentagon had not yet confirmed whether Baghdadi had been captured, his arrest would be significant.
   
"We think this is a significant Al-Qaeda leader and if the report is true that would be very good news," he said. "Baghdadi has been believed to be a key leader of Al-Qaeda in Iraq for some time."
   
The US military in the past had accused Baghdadi of being a ruse designed to put an Iraqi face on a group that has always been led by foreign fighters.
   
In July 2007 a US military spokesman said Baghdadi was a fictional character and that the voice on audiotapes released in his name was that of an actor.
   
The US military has always said that the real leader of Al-Qaeda in Iraq is Abu Hamza al-Muhajir -- better known as Abu Ayyub al-Masri -- a veteran Egyptian militant named Al-Qaeda chief in June 2006 following the death of his better-known Jordanian predecessor Abu Musab al-Zarqawi in a US air raid.
   
The Iraqi military's announcement came amid a surge in bloodshed in two attacks on Thursday that killed more than 70 people less than three months before US troops are set to withdraw from all Iraqi cities and major towns.
   
In the deadliest strike, at least 45 people -- including many Iranian pilgrims -- were killed when a suicide bomber struck a restaurant in the town of Muqdadiyah northeast of Baghdad, a military official said.
   
The official said another 55 people were wounded in the restaurant, which was packed with Iranian pilgrims on their way to the Shiite holy city of Karbala south of Baghdad.
   
The bombing took place in the ethnically and religiously mixed Diyala province, which still sees sporadic attacks despite the security improvements seen elsewhere in Iraq.
   
Another 28 people, including children, were killed in a suicide attack on police distributing food aid to displaced people sheltering in an abandoned building in southeastern Baghdad, security officials told AFP.
   
An interior ministry official said the dead included 10 police and five children. Another 52 people were wounded in the blast in the mixed Al-Riyadh district, defence and interior ministry officials said.
   
Omar Ali, a Sunni Muslim who was displaced from his neighbourhood by Shiite militants, said the suicide bomber was a woman.
   
"There were many women and children gathering here. They were happily receiving food from Iraqi security forces when this woman exploded among them," he said, choking up. "What did these poor people do to deserve this?"
   
The front of the building was pockmarked with shrapnel and the street was strewn with burning clothes and flesh, according to an AFP reporter.
   
Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki warned on Sunday at a meeting of senior security officials that the danger from "terrorist cells" was far from over.
   
His remarks followed an upsurge in violence over recent weeks after several months which saw a steady reduction in the number of attacks.
   
"We have succeeded in re-establishing security, but maintaining it is more difficult," Maliki said.
   
Iraq's 560,000 police and 260,000 soldiers are to assume greater responsibility for security as US forces withdraw from all cities by June 30 and from the country as a whole by the end of 2011.
   
Violence has plummeted over the past two years as American and Iraqi forces have allied with local tribes and former insurgents to bring calm to vast swathes of the country.
   
However more than 150 people have been killed since the start of April, according to an AFP count based on reports from security officials.

Date created : 2009-04-23

Comments

COMMENT(S)